Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question1:
Someone suggests that what the word “which” refers to always depend on what come after “which”.
Is it true?

Question2:
In my following 2 sentences, the “which” refer to abilities regardless of with or without a comma.
Is it true?

Sentence1:
I want to further develop my analytic abilities which are important for an accountant.
Sentence2:
I want to further develop my analytic abilities, which are important for an accountant.

Thanks

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

Yes, which refers to your analytical abilities, but I don't think the comma should be there. It doesn't change the meaning, it just makes it seem incorrect.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Yes, which refers to your analytical abilities, but I don't think the comma should be there. It doesn't change the meaning,
Sure it does.
Both sentences are correct, but the meaning is different.

Sentence1:
I want to further develop my analytic abilities which are important for an accountant.
meaning that you want to develop just those analytic abilities that you find important for an accountant. There are more analytic abilities than those you want to develop further.

Sentence2:
I want to further develop my analytic abilities, which are important for an accountant.
meaning all analytic abilities that are, by the way, important for an accountant.

Status
Not open for further replies.