Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Junior Member
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 90
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile Present Participle phrase

    Dear Teachers,

    for example:
    1. In a cafeteria, I used to have my lunch.

    the above sentence is correct, because I can rephrase it into

    I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria.


    for example:
    2. Previously (being) in a cafeteria, I have my lunch at home now.

    Is the above sentence correct?

    your guidance is highly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Happy chinese new year.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Present Participle phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by kl004535 View Post
    Dear Teachers,

    for example:
    1. In a cafeteria, I used to have my lunch.

    the above sentence is correct, because I can rephrase it into

    I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria.


    for example:
    2. Previously (being) in a cafeteria, I have my lunch at home now.

    Is the above sentence correct?

    your guidance is highly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Happy chinese new year.
    1. In a cafeteria, I used to have my lunch. This is incorrect.

    the above sentence is correct, because I can rephrase it into

    I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria. This is correct.


    for example:
    2. Previously (being) in a cafeteria, I have my lunch at home now.

    Is the above sentence correct? No, it isn't, try: "I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria, but now I have it at home".

    Where is the present participle you spoke of?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,275
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Present Participle phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by kl004535 View Post
    Dear Teachers,

    for example:
    1. In a cafeteria, I used to have my lunch.
    My post is about your use of "for example".
    We don't use this until we have stated our point. It means something like, "For an example of what I have just said, see the following".

    I'm having some grammar problems. For example:

    But in a simple case like this, I'd suggest just delete it.

  4. Junior Member
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 90
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Present Participle phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    1. In a cafeteria, I used to have my lunch. This is incorrect.

    the above sentence is correct, because I can rephrase it into

    I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria. This is correct.


    for example:
    2. Previously (being) in a cafeteria, I have my lunch at home now.

    Is the above sentence correct? No, it isn't, try: "I used to have my lunch in a cafeteria, but now I have it at home".

    Where is the present participle you spoke of?
    The child, thinking all was safe, attempted to cross the road.

    "thinking all was safe" in the above is present participle phrase.

    I, previously being in a cafeteria, have my lunch at home now.

    I moved the present participle phrase to the beginning of the sentence.

    just like the sentence below:

    Sword being in hand, he lunged at the enemy.

    Sometimes, the participle is understood, so it is omitted, as

    Sword in hand, he lunged at the enemy.
    Last edited by kl004535; 08-Jan-2010 at 16:40.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Present Participle phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by kl004535 View Post
    The child, thinking all was safe, attempted to cross the road.

    "thinking all was safe" in the above is present participle phrase.

    I, previously being in a cafeteria, have my lunch at home now.

    I moved the present participle phrase to the beginning of the sentence.

    just like the sentence below:

    Sword being in hand, he lunged at the enemy.

    Sometimes, the participle is understood, so it is omitted, as

    Sword in hand, he lunged at the enemy.
    The child, thinking all was safe, attempted to cross the road. This is fine.

    "thinking all was safe" in the above is present participle phrase.

    I, previously being in a cafeteria, have my lunch at home now. This is not a good sentence, it says that you used to be in a cafeteria but it doesn't say that you had lunch there. If you want to use that structure you could try: "I, having had the habit to have lunch in the cafeteria, now have lunch at home" But this is a very convoluted and unnatural way to say something very simple.

    I moved the present participle phrase to the beginning of the sentence.

    just like the sentence below:

    Sword being in hand, he lunged at the enemy. This is a very unnatural sentence.

    Sometimes, the participle is understood, so it is omitted, as

    Sword in hand, he lunged at the enemy. There is no participle understood in this sentence, this is an abbreviated way of saying: "(With his) sword in (his) hand, he..."

Similar Threads

  1. i need urgent help
    By nita in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2009, 14:13
  2. Perfect Participle and Present Participle
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2008, 15:29
  3. present participle and past participle
    By rensi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 09:23
  4. present participle
    By 760831 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2006, 00:10
  5. Gerund or Present Participle?
    By atm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2006, 14:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •