Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    has or was


    Dear teachers,
    Please read the sentence:

    He _____ from prison after serving two years of a five-year sentence.
    a. has been released b. was released

    I think both are correct. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #2

    Re: has or was

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,
    Please read the sentence:

    He _____ from prison after serving two years of a five-year sentence.
    a. has been released b. was released

    I think both are correct. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Yes, they are both correct, depending on the context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #3

    Re: has or was

    Dear Raymott,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. This is an isolated sentence in my exercise book.
    Could you please kindly explain "depending on the context"?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Jiang
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, they are both correct, depending on the context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #4

    Re: has or was

    Hi!

    Raymott is right! It depends on the context:

    1. You can use present perfect if you don`t know the time of the action or for a recently finished action:

    e.g. He has been released from prison [unknown time of action or recently finished action]

    2. You can use past tense if you know that the action was finished in the past : a week ago, a year ago, a month ago, yesterday,etc.:

    e.g. He was released from prison last month.

    As far as I`m concerned, I would use present perfect tense since the time of the action is not known.


    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 38
    #5

    Re: has or was

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi!

    Raymott is right! It depends on the context:

    1. You can use present perfect if you don`t know the time of the action or for a recently finished action:

    e.g. He has been released from prison [unknown time of action or recently finished action]

    2. You can use past tense if you know that the action was finished in the past : a week ago, a year ago, a month ago, yesterday,etc.:

    e.g. He was released from prison last month.

    As far as I`m concerned, I would use present perfect tense since the time of the action is not known.
    Hi,

    I think this is the perfect answer.You have given the answer in grammatical

    way which is very good.

    Thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •