• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

My doubt

The massive Trafalgar Square event sees traditional Chinese dragon and lion dance with line up of visiting Chinese performers from the different provinces in China.
    My doubt is for the word "line up" that it means a line of people ( who are the visiting Chinese performers from ............................China.
    or it means the visiting Chinese performers from........................China itself.

Please clarify it for me.
    Last edited by phorntita; 09-Jan-2010 at 11:02.

Re: My doubt

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by phorntita View Post
    The massive Trafalgar Square event sees traditional Chinese dragon and lion dance with line up of visiting Chinese performers from the different provinces in China.
    My doubt is for the word "line up" that it means a line of people ( who are the visiting Chinese performers from ............................China.
    or it means the visiting Chinese performers from........................China itself.

Please clarify it for me.
    Hi, phorntita! In American English "line up", meaning a particular or selected group of participants, is spelled as one word (lineup). Using this definition let's rephrase your sentence and try to clarify its meaning:

The massive Trafalgar Square event sees includes a traditional Chinese dragon and lion dance with a line up lineup of visiting Chinese performers from the different provinces in China.

Simply stated, the visiting performers at the Trafalgar Square event are from the different provinces in China.

I hope this clarifies your impression of this event.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, phorntita! In American English "line up", meaning a particular or selected group of participants, is spelled as one word (lineup). Using this definition let's rephrase your sentence and try to clarify its meaning:

The massive Trafalgar Square event sees includes a traditional Chinese dragon and lion dance with a line up lineup of visiting Chinese performers from the different provinces in China.

Simply stated, the visiting performers at the Trafalgar Square event are from the different provinces in China.

I hope this clarifies your impression of this event.
    Thank you very much for your answer on this post & via my net. I think that the reporter of this news doesn't put this 2 words "line up" to be together "lineup" so it has confused me a little bit, that's all. amigos4
    Phorntita