Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
In my course book it explains: 'While' is a conjunction and is therefore used before a subject/verb clause (main clause).

It then goes on to give the following example:

Let's have some music while we work.

I understand that 'we' is the subject or work, but can this really be classed as a main clause?
I thought a main clause was a part of a sentence (or a whole, simple sentence) that can stand alone? We wouldn't just say 'we work', so how is this classified as the main clause?
Can anyone give me some insight into how to explain this more clearly, please?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my course book it explains: 'While' is a conjunction and is therefore used before a subject/verb clause (main clause).

It then goes on to give the following example:

Let's have some music while we work.

I understand that 'we' is the subject or work, but can this really be classed as a main clause?
I thought a main clause was a part of a sentence (or a whole, simple sentence) that can stand alone? We wouldn't just say 'we work', so how is this classified as the main clause?
Can anyone give me some insight into how to explain this more clearly, please?
***NOT A TEACHER***I respectfully suggest that "We work" IS a sentence. It meets the requirements: (1) a subject and (2) a predicate. Tom: What do you and your friend do every day? Mona: We study. We eat. We work.

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
I agree with you in that the clause 'we work' does fulfil the requirements of having a subject and predicate but can it stand alone? as a main clause should be able too.
Wouldn't we have to work something? Maybe a prepositional phrase? For it to be able to stand alone.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree with you in that the clause 'we work' does fulfil the requirements of having a subject and predicate but can it stand alone? as a main clause should be able too.
Wouldn't we have to work something? Maybe a prepositional phrase? For it to be able to stand alone.
No.
Work! is a full sentence. It has a verb (in the imperative mood) and an implied subject 'you'.
As a main clause: Work when I tell you to!

Status
Not open for further replies.