Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello teachers,

First of all, Happy New Year.:-D

I would like to pick up your mind for a minute. I want to know if I can use the word 'Undermine' in this case, show below my sentence, please.

The power of America undermines countries that aren't able to survive by themselves.

What do you mean about this short phase ?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

See you soon and the forum.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello teachers,

Fisrt of all, Happy New Year.:-D

I would like to pick up your mind for a minute. I want to know if I can use the word 'Undermine' in this case, show below my sentence, please.

The power of America undermines countries that aren't able to survive by themselves.

What do you mean about this short phase ?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

See you soon and the forum.

If you want to say that the power of America has a detrimental effect on those countries, in other words, further weakens or diminishes them in some way, then it's a correct use.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I think you meant to say "pick your mind," not "pick up your mind."

"America's power undermines countries that aren't able to survive by themselves" is a grammatically correct sentence, but to be honest, I'm not sure what it means or what you meant to express.

Are you trying to say that America's power weakens the countries in question? If yes, how does it weaken them?

I'm not a teacher.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,

In this sentence I want to show that the US has a politic who certainly helps countries around the world but the injection of money notwithstanding doesn't have the effects expected. These aids undermine the gourverment in place. Do you follow me?

Are you sure about 'pick your mind'?:shock:

Thank for your fast reply.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

In this sentence I want to show that the US has a politic who certainly helps countries around the world but the injection of money notwithstanding doesn't have the effects expected. These aids undermine the gourverment in place. Do you follow me?

Are you sure about 'pick your mind'?:shock:

Thank for your fast reply.

Yes, I follow you, in that case your sentence is correct. Jasmin165 is right about "pick your mind".

Status
Not open for further replies.