• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

grammar

Hello, my question this time concerns the use of tenses , my sense says that we should use "the continuous present" with the temporary actions , for instance :i am studying english this term , our teacher says tht's wrong and that we should use the present simple with the temporary actions and say , i study english this term , she tryed to convince me but my reason didn't accept it so which one is right and which one is wrong ,
    thank you and have a lovely day

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by saddouda View Post
    Hello, my question this time concerns the use of tenses , my sense says that we should use "the continuous present" with the temporary actions , for instance :i am studying english this term , our teacher says tht's wrong and that we should use the present simple with the temporary actions and say , i study english this term , she tryed to convince me but my reason didn't accept it so which one is right and which one is wrong ,
    ***NOT A TEACHER***I agree with you, but don't tell your teacher!!! (1) I am studying English this term./ I study English every day. (2) Mona is cooking dinner (only tonight)./George cooks dinner ( every night of the week). (3) Tony is 30 years old. He lost his job. So he is now living with his parents./ Pamela is 2 years old. She lives with her parents -- of course!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Serbia
      • Current Location:
      • Serbia

(1) I am studying English this term./ I study English every day. (2) Mona is cooking dinner (only tonight)./George cooks dinner ( every night of the week). (3) Tony is 30 years old. He lost his job. So he is now living with his parents./ Pamela is 2 years old. She lives with her parents -- of course!!!
    Sure. We do not use The Present Continuous Tense only to denote actions that are taking place right now, at the moment of speaking. Very often, it is used to describe an action that lasts some time around the moment of speaking.
    We say:
    1. I study English ( meaning that you are a student)
    2. I am studying English this term ( the action happening some time around the moment of speaking)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by saddouda View Post
    I'm afraid your teacher is mistaken, "I am studying English this term" is the correct way to say it.