a feedlock learner?

Someone asked me this question over the Internet:
    Are you a feedlot learner or a grazer? ....and I don't understand neither feedlot nor grazer...Can anybody help me here ,please?...Thanks...
    Last edited by flatron; 09-Jan-2010 at 23:28. Reason: grammar

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: a feedlock learner?

I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like a distinction between two sorts of learning: 'chunks' of study ("feedlot") or constant little intakes of information ("grazing"). The word "graze" is related to "grass"; grazing is how sheep (and many other herbivores) eat.

I've never met the word "feedlot" though; and the more common term for taking in small bits of information is 'browse'. (Interestingly, this word is related to herbivores eating too, but at the level of their brow: a goat sometimes grazes and sometimes browses.) But the metaphorical use of "browse" (information, reading-matter) is more common than the 'animal feeding' meaning. This might be heard in a bookshop: 'Would you like to buy that, or are you just browsing?'

b

PS In Shakespeare's time, the 'feeding' sense was stronger. When King Lear disowns Cordelia he says 'Browse where you will, you will not house with me.'

Re: a feedlock learner?

In North America, a feedlot is what we here would call either a field, where the animal grazes natural grass, or a cattleyard, where it is fed on hay and cowcake.

So as Bob suggests, from the context, it seems to ask whether you are a person who learns by learning chunks provided to you [a feedlot learner] or someone who learns by dipping in and out of books or whatever [a grazer].