1. Unregistered

Essay Mark/Check

Hello, I was just wondering if someone could perhaps mark/check my analysis on a poem.

In the poem Tell all the Truth but tell it slant, Emily Dickinson is portraying the dangers of too much truth. She is not saying the truth should not be told, but how it is best to reveal it in a gentle manner. This is seen very early on in the poem when she writes, “Tell all the Truth, but tell it slant-“(1), meaning that the truth should be told in a way that is not spiteful or too harsh. When telling the truth it is in people’s best interest not to be blunt and perhaps find a way to dance around the more in depth components.
    The most important part of the poem may be “Success in Circuit lies”(2). Dickinson argues that telling the truth relies on finding a detour, or a roundabout way. People are able to handle truth better when it is not revealed to them in a tactlessly.
    When people hear the truth it usually comes as a shock to them. Dickinson displays the solution when she writes “As Lightning to the Children eased//With explanation kind”(5-6). She is stating that like the way an adult would find a nice way to tell a child about a lightning strike, stating the truth needs to be told pleasantly for people to become less fearful of it. This also builds on the theory that the truth must be told gradually, because Dickinson believes that society cannot handle the truth when it is dumped upon them all at one. For example, children are not told the truth about all the facts of life when they are at a young age, instead they learn it as they grow older and are able to understand better.
    Dickinson almost literally argues her point when she writes, “The Truth must dazzle gradually”(7), meaning people can handle truth easier if they are given time to absorb it rather than having it abruptly thrown at them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Essay Mark/Check

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello, I was just wondering if someone could perhaps mark/check my analysis on a poem.

In the poem Tell all the Truth but tell it slant, Emily Dickinson is
    You need to distinguish the title in some way from the rest of the text. A person not having seen this poem before would take the title to be "Tell all the Truth", in which case you sentence wouldn't make sense.
    portraying the dangers of too much truth.
    ... too much truth at once ... I don't see her saying that the full truth shouldn't be told eventually. This is important - marks off.
    She is not saying the truth should not be told, but how it is best to reveal it in a gentle manner. This is seen very early on in the poem when she writes, “Tell all the Truth, but tell it slant- “(1), meaning that the truth should be told in a way that is not spiteful or too harsh.
    Perhaps. Is that what 'slant' meant in Dickinson's day? I'd take it to mean something like 'indirectly'. I can't see it meaning 'non-spitefully'. But if you had references to support this, you'd get extra marks.
    When telling the truth it is in people’s best interest not to be blunt and perhaps find a way to dance around the more in depth components.
    The most important part of the poem may be “Success in Circuit lies”(2). Dickinson argues that telling the truth relies on finding a detour, or a roundabout way. People are able to handle truth better when it is not revealed to them in a tactlessly.
    When people hear the truth it usually comes as a shock to them. Dickinson displays the solution when she writes “As Lightning to the Children eased//With explanation kind”(5-6). She is stating that like the way as an adult would find a nice way to tell a child about a lightning strike, stating the truth needs to be told pleasantly for people to become less fearful of it. This also builds on the theory [proposition? claim? It's not really a theory] that the truth must be told gradually [Yes, 'gradually or indirectly' rather than non-spitefully], because Dickinson believes that society cannot handle the truth when it is dumped upon them all at once. For example, children are not told the truth about all the facts of life when they are at a young age, instead they learn it as they grow older and are able to understand better.
    Dickinson almost literally argues her point when she writes, “The Truth must dazzle gradually”(7), meaning people can handle truth easier if they are given time to absorb it rather than having it abruptly thrown at them.
    Yes, you've covered the surface, concrete meaning satisfactorily.
    Are there deeper levels of meaning?
    ~ 13-16/20, depending on your level.