And the sky's the limit (ST:TNG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thx0110

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, I have a question for you guys. In the final scene of the last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the captain said this:

"Five Card Stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnmbiN4xjE (about 2:19)

What actually means "And the sky's the limit."? Was "sky" meant to be heaven or just something that is not reachable, infinite with endlessly possibilities (besides that fact, that Picard said it in relation to bets in poker) ?

BMJ1

Member Type
English Teacher
Well, first of all, I love Star Trek, so your post really caught my eye and I just had to respond! :lol:

"The sky's the limit" means that there is no apparent limit to how far you can go in what you are doing.

In the context of poker specifically, it means that there is no maximum amount of money or chips that a player is permitted to wager.

I think that the show meant it in both ways. On the surface, it related to the poker game they were playing, but it also is a way to describe the whole show. Being on the Enterprise is such an adventure that "the sky's the limit" - there's no limit to the kinds of experiences they can have on the ship.

:up: Good question and I hope I helped!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, sure, but would you really let Counselor Troi play poker with you?
"Hmm. I wonder if he's bluffing... Oh, yes, he is."

Status
Not open for further replies.