[Vocabulary] any word can replace "questions"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
Any word can replace either of the "questions" in my sentence?

Sentence:

Students would practice the questions on the exercise sheet, and ask me questions.

Thanks

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Question:

Sentence:

Students would practice the questions on the exercise sheet, and ask me questions.

Thanks

Students would practice interrogative sentences in the exercise sheet and then make questions about it.

Students would practice interrogative sentences in the exercise sheet and ask me for help.

Students would practice interrogative sentences in the exercise sheet and demand my assistance.

PS Not a native speaker

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
:shock:
Hi,

Question:
Can any word replace either of the "questions" in my sentence? I suggest that you pay attention to correct English question grammar.

Sentence:

Thanks

"interrogative sentences" is not a suitable substitute for either of the "questions".

First of all, no native speaker would say "interrogative sentences".
Secondly, the "questions" (the first "questions") will not necessarily be asking you anything. Some may require you to solve or complete something.

Students would practice (answering)(solving)(completing) the (questions)(problems)(exercises) on the.......

I wouldn't change the second "questions".

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Question:

Sentence:

Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***The other posters gave me some good ideas. So I offer this humble suggestion: Students will answer the items on the exercise sheet, and then ask me questions. Thank you.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
:shock:

"interrogative sentences" is not a suitable substitute for either of the "questions".

First of all, no native speaker would say "interrogative sentences".
Secondly, the "questions" (the first "questions") will not necessarily be asking you anything. Some may require you to solve or complete something.

Students would practice (answering)(solving)(completing) the (questions)(problems)(exercises) on the.......

I wouldn't change the second "questions".

As I understand it 'practice the questions on the exercise sheet' is not clear by itself. I guessed there was a small possibility the OP was talking about exercises related to interrogative sentences. If that was not the case, of course the OP would not accept the suggestion.

Furthermore, although I am not a native speaker, this thread had been in the queue for a long time without any answer - so I thought answering something would bring some native speakers attention to it.

Finally I understand the expression 'interrogative sentence' is not used by native speakers in everyday English. However, I wonder whether this expression is technically used in grammar and for English teaching purposes. I have seen this expression in many ESL books. For instance: "Change the affirmative sentences to interrogative ones."

In the context above, is there another expression for 'interrogative sentences'?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As I understand it 'practice the questions on the exercise sheet' is not clear by itself. I guessed there was a small possibility the OP was talking about exercises related to interrogative sentences. If that was not the case, of course the OP would not accept the suggestion.

Furthermore, although I am not a native speaker, this thread had been in the queue for a long time without any answer - so I thought answering something would bring some native speakers attention to it.

Finally I understand the expression 'interrogative sentence' is not used by native speakers in everyday English. However, I wonder whether this expression is technically used in grammar and for English teaching purposes. I have seen this expression in many ESL books. For instance: "Change the affirmative sentences to interrogative ones."

In the context above, is there another expression for 'interrogative sentences'?

The term "interrogative sentences" is used in ESL.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What I meant but perhaps didn't make sufficiently clear is that no native speaker would use "interrogative sentences" to replace "questions" in the original post.

Obviously "interrogative sentences" is used in ESL.

Status
Not open for further replies.