Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Tesco's problem is what's bound to happen when you have a single European market but not economic union.

This was bound to happen by the law of supply and demand, with too many League clubs chasing too few good players.

bound to happen = inescapable, inevitable, sure, unavoidable

Everton have cut the cost of their kit, while Wimbledon, who are refusing to jack up their prices, have said: "We want to be fair to our supporters.”

Just before Christmas, some stores jack up their prices.

jack up = a slang term that means to increase the price a lot, as in: “That restaurant jacked up all their prices last week”

The man jacked up his car to fit a flat tire.

jack up = to lift with a jack

He needed a small drink to jack up his failing courage.

Jack up = cheer up

The director jacked Jim up for being late again.

jack up = shout at

I have to jack up my job.

jack up = relinguish

On the A20 motorway, people have been stuck for hours.

Last winter our car got stuck in the snow and we had to walk home.

Poor Jeff is stuck in a terrible job.

Tom and Jane are stuck in a bad marriage.

get stuck = to become entrapped or embroiled in a physical, emotional, or social obstacle so as to be unable to free oneself

The Smiths sure got stuck when they bought that secondhand car; it broke down just two days after they got it.

get stuck = to be victimized; be cheated

Traffic on the A5 highway between Germany and France was also backed up for several hours due to the snow.

The flood water backed up the pipes for the dirty water.

Many ships are backed up at the entrance to the harbour.

Lines of vehicles were backed up for several kilometres because of the accident.

back up = bring or come to a standstill; to accumulate due to a blockage of flow; as, a traffic backup due to an accident;

We need further facts to back up our statements.

Most members were against Mr Jones, who would have lost his position if you hadn't backed him up.

Back up, men, we need all the help we can get.

back up = support

If you can't go up the hill forwards, you'll have to back up.

back up = move or drive a vehicle backward

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
Tesco's problem is what's bound to happen when you have a single European market but not economic union.

This was bound to happen by the law of supply and demand, with too many League clubs chasing too few good players.

bound to happen = inescapable, inevitable, sure, unavoidable Ok

Everton have cut the cost of their kit, while Wimbledon, who are refusing to jack up their prices, have said: "We want to be fair to our supporters.”

Just before Christmas, some stores jack up their prices.

jack up = a slang term that means to increase the price a lot, as in: “That restaurant jacked up all their prices last week” (In Business / Commerce)

The man jacked up his car to fit a flat tire.

jack up = to lift with a jack

He needed a small drink to jack up his failing courage.

Jack up = cheer up

The director jacked Jim up for being late again.

jack up = shout at= to ruin; wreck; mess up; screw up (colloquial)

I have to jack up my job.

jack up = relinquish = to discontinue; to leave a job, break a contract

On the A20 motorway, people have been stuck for hours.

Last winter our car got stuck in the snow and we had to walk home. (caught or fixed)

Poor Jeff is stuck in a terrible job. (full of difficulty or confusion or bewilderment)

Tom and Jane are stuck in a bad marriage.

get stuck = to become entrapped or embroiled in a physical, emotional, or social obstacle so as to be unable to free oneself;

The Smiths sure got stuck when they bought that secondhand car; it broke down just two days after they got it.

get stuck = to be victimized; be cheated Ok

Traffic on the A5 highway between Germany and France was also backed up for several hours due to the snow. Ok

The flood water backed up the pipes for the dirty water.

Many ships are backed up at the entrance to the harbour. (to bring to a standstill)

Lines of vehicles were backed up for several kilometers because of the accident.

back up = bring or come to a standstill; to accumulate due to a blockage of flow; as, a traffic backup due to an accident;

We need further facts to back up our statements. (to support or confirm)

Most members were against Mr Jones, who would have lost his position if you hadn't backed him up.

Back up, men, we need all the help we can get.

back up = support/confirm

If you can't go up the hill forwards, you'll have to back up.

back up = move or drive a vehicle backward Ok

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All are OK. The term ‘back up’ is very common with computer users. You can use the built-in Backup utility to make copies of files, settings, or everything on your computer.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.