Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The kettle was kept on the simmer.

keep on = continue, persist

simmer (n) = temperature just below the boiling point, as in: "the stew remained at a simmer for hours"

The kettle is simmering on the stove.

simmer (v) = to boil gently, or with a gentle hissing

Congress simmered with plans to reduce expenditure.

Ideas were simmering at the back of his mind.

I simmered with indignationhttp://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/eng_rus/29516/в.

He was simmering with anger.

She would not let him set foot across her threshold.

She told the boy not to set foot out of the house until he had finished supper.

set foot = to step; walk; go

Mary's friendliness with Joan is only skin-deep.

Ralph crammed for the test and got a good grade, but his knowledge of the lesson is only skin-deep.

skin-deep = only on the surface; not having any deep or honest meaning; not really or closely connected with what it seems to belong to

Joe is a bred-in-the-bone horseman; he has been riding since he was six.

bred in the bone = belonging to your nature or character, especially from early teaching or long habit; natural from belief or habit; believing deeply

Jim found some college friends at the lake that summer, and soon was in the swim of things.

Mary went to New York with introductions to writers and artists, and that winter she was quite in the swim.

in the swim = doing the same things that other people are doing; following the fashion (as in business or social affairs); busy with what most people are doing; to be in a favored position; to be associated with others in active affairs; active in something, know what is going on

He got tired as the game went on, and began to play safe.

Tom didn't know what the other driver would do, so he played it safe and stopped his own car.

play safe = to be very careful; accept small gains or none to avoid loss; avoid danger for the sake of safety

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
The kettle was kept on the simmer.

keep on = continue, persist= to give your attention to what you are doing all the time
You have to keep your eye on the ball in business.

simmer (n) = temperature just below the boiling point, as in: "the stew remained at a simmer for hours"

The kettle is simmering on the stove. Ok

simmer (v) = to boil gently, or with a gentle hissing= To be in a state of gentle ferment

Congress simmered with plans to reduce expenditure.

Ideas were simmering at the back of his mind.

I simmered with indignation.

He was simmering with anger.
simmer down=To become calm after excitement or anger.
Please leave the matter to me now, I will do something when things have simmered down a bit.
She would not let him set foot across her threshold.

She told the boy not to set foot out of the house until he had finished supper.

set foot = to step; walk; go

Mary's friendliness with Joan is only skin-deep.

Ralph crammed for the test and got a good grade, but his knowledge of the lesson is only skin-deep.

skin-deep = only on the surface; not having any deep or honest meaning; not really or closely connected with what it seems to belong to Ok
He studied the subject only skin-deep.
Joe is a bred-in-the-bone horseman; he has been riding since he was six.

bred in the bone = belonging to your nature or character, especially from early teaching or long habit; natural from belief or habit; believing deeply

Jim found some college friends at the lake that summer, and soon was in the swim of things.

Mary went to New York with introductions to writers and artists, and that winter she was quite in the swim.

in the swim = doing the same things that other people are doing; following the fashion (as in business or social affairs); busy with what most people are doing; to be in a favored position; to be associated with others in active affairs; active in something, know what is going on =(figurative) involved in or participating in events or happenings
You may still get confused, even when you're in the swim of things

He got tired as the game went on, and began to play safe.

Tom didn't know what the other driver would do, so he played it safe and stopped his own car.

play safe = to be very careful; accept small gains or none to avoid loss; avoid danger for the sake of safety

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All are fine. “Play safe and be safe” is a sound advice applicable to every walk of life

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.