Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Help me....What did she say?

    Hi Everybody,

    Please tell me what did she say in following audio clip?

    Download Noname - MP3 Ringtone Noname by Noname - Free Music Hosting


    WYH

  2. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #2

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    A block of ice.

  3. #3

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    A block of ice.
    Hi Offroad...I can't understand she pronounces like "A block of rice" or "A block of vice", how did you hear ice, not rice or vice? How did she speak "of ice" in connected speech? You can explain in phonetics symbol if possible. Thanks

  4. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #4

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Offroad...I can't understand she pronounces like "A block of rice" or "A block of vice", how did you hear ice, not rice or vice? How did she speak "of ice" in connected speech? You can explain in phonetics symbol if possible. Thanks
    She says

    /A blok o'vaice/

    A block of ice.

    Consonant and vowel, they're usually pronounced like a single word.

    He got an apple. /gotanapl/


    The most interesting part is that if you listen to English everyday, you will stop noticing this, focusing on main message, not details.

    You may want to bookmark this page:

    A block of ice

    Type any sentence and click the button to hear pronunciation.


    Offroad

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #5

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Offroad...I can't understand she pronounces like "A block of rice" or "A block of vice", how did you hear ice, not rice or vice? How did she speak "of ice" in connected speech? You can explain in phonetics symbol if possible. Thanks
    She doesn't say 'rice'. There's no suggestion of an /r/ at all.
    We know she doesn't mean "a block of vice" primarily because vice doesn't come in blocks, while ice does.

  6. #6

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    She says

    /A blok o'vaice/

    A block of ice.

    Consonant and vowel, they're usually pronounced like a single word.

    He got an apple. /gotanapl/


    The most interesting part is that if you listen to English everyday, you will stop noticing this, focusing on main message, not details.

    You may want to bookmark this page:

    A block of ice

    Type any sentence and click the button to hear pronunciation.


    Offroad
    Hi, I actually understood the connected speech for Consonant and Vowel, I learnt it before such as /I like it/....but I don't know why "A block of ice" pronounce as /A blok o'vaice/, how come with v and a sound?

  7. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #7

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi, I actually understood the connected speech for Consonant and Vowel, I learnt it before such as /I like it/....but I don't know why "A block of ice" pronounce as /A blok o'vaice/, how come with v and a sound?
    'ice' is pronounced /aɪs/.

    /blok o'vaɪs/ it is.

  8. #8

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    'ice' is pronounced /aɪs/.

    /blok o'vaɪs/ it is.
    How about v sound? There is only "f" sound...how come it change to "v" sound...

  9. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #9

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    How about v sound? There is only "f" sound...how come it change to "v" sound...
    Mmm... I don't know.

    Do some searching, I am sure you will find something.

  10. #10

    Re: Help me....What did she say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    Mmm... I don't know.

    Do some searching, I am sure you will find something.

    I just found "of" in dictionary, the pronounciation "of" as below....I always use "f" to pronounce the end sound of "of"....actually it should be pronounced as "v".....

    of S1 W1 / əv, ə ; strong ɒv $ əv, ə strong $ ɑːv /






Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •