Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi teachers,

Got a quick question about the long u sound.

Is it the sound in "mute" or in "wood"? If it's in one of these, what do you call the sound of the other?

Thanks.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi teachers,

Got a quick question about the long u sound.

Is it the sound in "mute" or in "wood"? If it's in one of these, what do you call the sound of the other?

Thanks.
mute: long u
wood: short u

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry, but I don't think any of them has got the short u sound.:-(

I
A 'short u' is the sound in wood, should, could, put, good, that is /ʊ/.
A 'long u' is /u:/
Perhaps you are referring to the /ʌ/ as in but, flood, mud, cut? This is a different sound altogether, even though it's often spelt with a 'u'.
/ʌ/ is sometimes called a 'hat'. Technically the symbol is called a 'turned v'.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: In addition, the /u:/ in 'mute' is preceded by a glide. There is a fairly obscure word 'moot', pronounced /mu:t/; but 'mute' - while indeed having a 'long' u - isn't pronounced like that.

b

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As far as I know,the "u" in mute is the same "u" as in new. (mju:t,nju:)
Maybe "soon" (su:n) is a better example.
Use short u (ʊ) as Raymott puts it ; good, took, book,...

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But in another thread I caused a lot of confusion by using /j/ ('Surelly there's no j in [whatever we were discussing]':-?') So I just called it 'a glide'. But you're right. ;-)

b

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Isn't there any difference between the sound in "would" and "wood"?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Isn't there any difference between the sound in "would" and "wood"?

Not in general, they are pronounced the same - IPA /wʊd/

However, 'would' is found unstressed a lot in sentences, in which case it is pronounced /wəd/. However, this is only due to the speed at which it is spoken in fluent, connected speech.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I see.

What then is the difference between the short "u" sound and "oo" sound?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see.

What then is the difference between the short "u" sound and "oo" sound?

There are two "'oo' sounds" - to use your term.

These have /ʊ/: wood, hood, good, stood... (and lots of words that aren't spelt with those letters - could, would, should, for example).

These have /u:/ food, mood, rood (a rather archaic word), wooed (the simple past of 'woo').

The letters 'oo' can, rarely, make other sounds. So you won't normally find a teacher writing 'the 'oo' sound' (though they may well say 'the /u:/ sound' - and probably do; I do). ;-)

Last edited:

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
The letters 'oo' can, rarely, make other sounds. So you won't normally find a teacher writing 'the 'oo' sound' (though they may well say 'the /u:/ sound' - and probably do; I do). ;-)

Perhaps the clearest example is 'blood'. That is certainly not a /u:/ or a /ʊ/ sound.:)

As for what makes /ʊ/ and /u:/ differ - phonetically, they are different sounds entirely. But I suppose acoustically, just listening to it, /u:/ - food, mood etc - sounds 'longer' than /ʊ/.

Try saying two words together with the different ones, like 'good food'. My own accent (Scottish English) doesn't have either /ʊ/ or /u:/, and all these words - mood, food, would, could - are said the same. Just to confuse you!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps the clearest example is 'blood'. That is certainly not a /u:/ or a /ʊ/ sound.:)

As for what makes /ʊ/ and /u:/ differ - phonetically, they are different sounds entirely. But I suppose acoustically, just listening to it, /u:/ - food, mood etc - sounds 'longer' than /ʊ/.

Try saying two words together with the different ones, like 'good food'. My own accent (Scottish English) doesn't have either /ʊ/ or /u:/, and all these words - mood, food, would, could - are said the same. Just to confuse you!
Yes - I hadn't noticed that about Scottish English, until the recent TV adverts - which end with a Scottish actor saying 'The Cooperative - good with food'.

b
PS Though some people use a hyphen (and even, in old dictionaries, a diæresis) to separate the o's), 'cooperative' is another case where 'oo' can make a sound that couldn't - in any language - be called 'the "oo" sound'.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
What do you call the two "u" sounds you used? sorry, can't recognise phonetic symbols.

Would it be fine for a non-native to just use the short u sound and not be particular with the "oo" sound(whatever they call it)?:-D

There would be a problem though, I think. Because the difference between "good" and "food" are quite noticeable. Sigh! so, what do you call those 'u' sounds again?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.