Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
What is correct : Would you like some/any milk ?
And why ?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
And why ?

You can use anyone, because both may be used in affirmative or negative questions.

ph2004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
You can use anyone, because both may be used in affirmative or negative questions.

Thanks. But is it correct to say : "Would you like some apples ?", or is it "Would you like any apples ?"

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks. But is it correct to say : "Would you like some apples ?", or is it "Would you like any apples ?"

Yes, excepting nagative statements you can treat both words as synonyms.
You do not like some apples. (incorrect)
You do not like any apple. (correct)

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Because the meaning may sometimes appear cryptic(not in this case), in particular when a sentence is grammatically positive, but the meaning of the sentence is negative. Have a look at these sentences.
My brother never takes some milk with non vegetarian food.
My brother never takes any milk with non vegetarian food.
I don’t care for some ice cream with my chocolate cake.
I don’t care for any ice cream with my chocolate cake.

Last edited:

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You do not like some apples. :tick:

Agreed. IMHO the idea expressed with any/some should not be explained in terms of positives or negatives at all.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
'some' expresses the idea is restricted in some way. On the other hand, any is free from limitations.

Compare:
I like some people.
I like any people.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And why ?
***NOT A TEACHER***I was taught that sometimes there is a very subtle difference between these two words in questions such as yours. If you visit a friend's home at dinnertime, a friend who asks, "Would you like anything to eat?" may be secretly hoping that you say "No." In other words, your friend is just being polite and almost expects a "No" answer on your part; "Would you like something to eat?" (especially accompanied by a big smile) might mean a sincere wish that you join them for dinner.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
***NOT A TEACHER***I was taught that sometimes there is a very subtle difference between these two words in questions such as yours. If you visit a friend's home at dinnertime, a friend who asks, "Would you like anything to eat?" may be secretly hoping that you say "No." In other words, your friend is just being polite and almost expects a "No" answer on your part; "Would you like something to eat?" (especially accompanied by a big smile) might mean a sincere wish that you join them for dinner.

Interesting. I was taught exactly the same thing. But there is an important difference. I was taught it as an ESL student. I thought this 'feeling' were 'natural' to native English speakers. Were you taught it as a child?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting. I was taught exactly the same thing. But there is an important difference. I was taught it as an ESL student. I thought this 'feeling' were 'natural' to native English speakers. Were you taught it as a child?
Thank you for your note. I probably did not express myself well. I don't know whether I learned this "naturally" or in school. I suspect it was just a "feeling" I got since English is my native (and only) language.

Status
Not open for further replies.