[Grammar] Pronunciation - ate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Tell me how do you pronounce the past tense of eat, "ate"? There are two versions of pronunciation I have ever heard before....

WYH

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

Tell me how do you pronounce the past tense of eat, "ate"? There are two versions of pronunciation I have ever heard before....

WYH

What's wrong with the online dictionaries? you can get your answer there. Here is a link to Cambridge Dictionary in case you don't know.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Or this one, which has someone to pronounce the words for us:

Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus

This one is even better, type the sentences and click the button:

[web translator
:up:

I just wanted to know, in the real world, how many people would pronounce "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]eɪt[/FONT][/FONT]"[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]and how many people would pronounce "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]et[/FONT][/FONT]"?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm in the 'real world' and I pronounce it [et] or [ɛt]. I don't know how I would choose which I say, just depends on who I'm talking to I guess.:)

I should point out here that I'm using IPA symbols. I've noticed that dictionaries use the vowel /e/ to represent the vowel I would write as /ɛ/. See this link for a pronunciation of the sounds.

http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/charts/IPAlab/IPAlab.htm

My accent is Scottish English, which has hardly any diphthongs.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
I'm in the 'real world' and I pronounce it [et] or [ɛt]. I don't know how I would choose which I say, just depends on who I'm talking to I guess.:)

I should point out here that I'm using IPA symbols. I've noticed that dictionaries use the vowel /e/ to represent the vowel I would write as /ɛ/. See this link for a pronunciation of the sounds.

The International Phonetic Alphabet - Audio Illustrations

My accent is Scottish English, which has hardly any diphthongs.

Do you know how RP speakers pronounce ""[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]eɪt[/FONT][/FONT]" or "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]et[/FONT][/FONT]"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you know how RP speakers pronounce ""[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]eɪt[/FONT][/FONT]" or "[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]et[/FONT][/FONT]"?

Extreme RP (the sort that omits the /l/ in "golf"), has /et/. Quite a few speakers of British English use the version with the diphthong. As extreme RP used to be drummed into schoolchildren, most (older) people alternate. As schools aren't like that any more, younger people use the diphthong. (When I said things like /et/ during my teaching practice, I was accused by the students of 'talking posh'.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.