• Start date
  • Views : 1,619
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiran774

1. tedious, yet nerve-wracking.
2. tedious and nerve-wracking.

In my opinion, to use 'yet' in this case, there has to be sufficient contrast between the words 'tedious' and 'nerve-wracking'. Since both of them have a negative connotation, I'd use 2.

What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. tedious, yet nerve-wracking.
2. tedious and nerve-wracking.

In my opinion, to use 'yet' in this case, there has to be sufficient contrast between the words 'tedious' and 'nerve-wracking'. Since both of them have a negative connotation, I'd use 2.

What do you think?
I think that both terms having a negative connotation is not enough reason to conclude that there is insufficient contrast to use 'yet'.
He is physically lazy and/yet likes bashing up his little brother.
I think it depends on whether you want to emphasise the contrast or simply give a description.

saberlight774

Member Type
Other
Raymott,
This is the same person who posted the question (I lost my id/password and couldn't retrieve it and I had to set up another account).

I understand that both having a negative connotation doesn't preclude the use of 'yet'. But don't you think there still needs to be enough contrast of some sort when you use it? From your own example, he's lazy, but NOT when he's beating up his brother. So, on the other side of 'yet', there is an element of not being lazy which is a contrast to being lazy.

Wouldn't you agree?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Raymott,
This is the same person who posted the question (I lost my id/password and couldn't retrieve it and I had to set up another account).

I understand that both having a negative connotation doesn't preclude the use of 'yet'. But don't you think there still needs to be enough contrast of some sort when you use it? From your own example, he's lazy, but NOT when he's beating up his brother. So, on the other side of 'yet', there is an element of not being lazy which is a contrast to being lazy.

Wouldn't you agree?

Something that is tedious is not necessarily nerve wracking, and something that is nerve wracking may not be tedious.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Wouldn't you agree?
Yes, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.