[Grammar] Had been or have been

Status
Not open for further replies.

alifarisyed

Member Type
Student or Learner
Teacher, Which one of these is correct:
1. I have been once considering settling down in England.
2. I had (I'd) been once considering to settle down in England.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Welcome to the forum. Both the sentences in perfect continuous tense are correct, The verb 'consider' can accept either an inifinitive or a gerund as its direct object without any change in meaning.

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand

I had (I'd) once been considering settling down in England.

Meaning, you thought about living in England but not anymore.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***NOT A TEACHER***alifarisyed, may I give you my humble opinion? (1) I think that I would choose "I had once been considering settling down in England." By the way, I moved "once," for I think it sounds more "natural" in that position. (2) I think that in regular speech, many Americans would be more comfortable with: I had once thought about settling down in England. Thank you.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
***NOT A TEACHER***alifarisyed, may I give you my humble opinion? (1) I think that I would choose "I had once been considering settling down in England." By the way, I moved "once," for I think it sounds more "natural" in that position. (2) I think that in regular speech, many Americans would be more comfortable with: I had once thought about settling down in England. Thank you.

Thank you for correction of the sentence to "I had once been considering settling down in England." by putting the adverb 'once' after 'had' and before 'been' which has escaped my attention. I thought alifarisyed's question basically intended to ascertain the correct use of gerund and inifinitive(settle). However, here I would prefer to use past continuous instead of perfect continuous which does not contain a time period.
"I was once considering settling down in England."

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I think that in regular speech, many Americans would be more comfortable with: I had once thought about settling down in England. Thank you.

This version makes more sense to me, because honestly I'm having some difficulties to associate "once" with any continuous form. Should't we refer to a period of time when we are to use the continuous form?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the continuous form doesn't make sense unless you want to talk about something that happened WHILE you were thinking about it.

I had been considering settling down in England when I learned that my horrible college roommate had been elected mayor of the town I had been thinking to move to. That was all I needed to realize that I was better off where I was.

I had once considered settling down in England, but then my daughter presented me with twin grandsons, and I knew I wasn't going to go so far way.

(EDIT: I have no problem with the word "consider" vs. "thought." It's a very natural word to use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.