Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
"...She then told a Sears associate, who announced over the intercom for Adam to meet his mother at one of the information desks. Revé later said that she had no confidence that Adam would be able to locate the desks. Adam and his mother were never reunited.

There are claims that a security guard threw the children out of the store for bickering over the video game, and perhaps Adam was confused and thought he had to leave too. Investigators think Adam had been mistakenly associated with a group of older children who were causing trouble and told to leave the shopping mall. It is suspected that Adam was abducted near the front exterior of the store after the other boys went on their way."

I wonder if "was" can be used instead of "had been" as it's clear that mistaking Adam happened first and afterward he was thrown out.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"...She then told a Sears associate, who announced over the intercom for Adam to meet his mother at one of the information desks. Revé later said that she had no confidence that Adam would be able to locate the desks. Adam and his mother were never reunited.

There are claims that a security guard threw the children out of the store for bickering over the video game, and perhaps Adam was confused and thought he had to leave too. Investigators think Adam had been mistakenly thought to be associated with a group of older children who were causing trouble and told to leave the shopping mall. It is suspected that Adam was abducted near the front exterior of the store after the other boys went on their way."

I wonder if "was" can be used instead of "had been" as it's clear that mistaking Adam happened first and afterward he was thrown out.
Yes, "was" can be used.

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
Does the above sentence need 'thought to be' in it?
I have read it several times and it seems a bit of a mouthful. Is it possible to exclude it? or would you recommend it stays?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Does the above sentence need 'thought to be' in it?
I have read it several times and it seems a bit of a mouthful. Is it possible to exclude it? or would you recommend it stays?
The addition of "thought to be" more clearly expresses the intended meaning.
The investigators don't think that Adam had by mistake associated with a group of older children; they think the security guard mistakenly thought he was associated with the older children.

Status
Not open for further replies.