1. CCFans

Lightbulb to or for

Hello

Today I was knitiing a scarf and suddenly I wanted to tell one of my friends.
    The problem is that although I studied English for over eight years, my first language is Spanish and in this language we only have one word for the same meaning of To and For, so here it is my question: when I want to say that I am knitting a scarf for me to use it, How do I say 1) knitting a scarf for myself
    or 2) knitting a scarf to myself
    3) knitting myself a scarf

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: to or for

Quote Originally Posted by CCFans View Post
    Hello

Today I was knittiing a scarf and suddenly I wanted to tell one of my friends.
    The problem is that although I studied English for over eight years, my first language is Spanish and in this language we only have one word for the same meanings of To and For. So here it is my question: when I want to say that I am knitting a scarf for me to use it, how do I say it?
    1) knitting a scarf for myself

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: to or for

Quote Originally Posted by CCFans View Post
    Hello

Today I was knitiing a scarf and suddenly I wanted to tell one of my friends.
    The problem is that although I studied English for over eight years, my first language is Spanish and in this language we only have one word for the same meaning of To and For, so here it is my question: when I want to say that I am knitting a scarf for me to use it, How do I say 1) knitting a scarf for myself

Thank you
    ***NOT A TEACHER***CCFans: Yes, I understand the problem. When I try to speak Spanish, I am never sure which word to use for "for." (1) I'm sure that native speakers would agree that your second sentence is not considered correct. (2) Your first and third sentences seem fine. Thank you.