Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Let's say Barnes is the name of a person. What is the possessive form of Barnes? Is this Barnes's or just Barnes' ? How do you pronounce it?

I am aware of the rules, but I don't know how to apply these rules to this specific case.

Thanks for your help.
H

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am aware of the rules, but I don't know how to apply these rules to this specific case.

For singular names ending in -s, the regular genitive is usual: Barnes's, but sometimes these nouns are treated as if they were plural nouns: Barnes'.
The latter form is frequent with archaic names.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
For singular names ending in -s, the regular genitive is usual: Barnes's, but sometimes these nouns are treated as if they were plural nouns: Barnes'.
The latter form is frequent with archaic names.

I am aware of what you said and this is the reason why I asked the questions in the first post.
How would we treat this name of Barnes?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's say Barnes is the name of a person. What is the possessive form of Barnes? Is this Barnes's or just Barnes' ? How do you pronounce it?

Thanks for your help.
H
***NOT A TEACHER***Great question. Here in the United States, many people write: James' house. A few people and an occasional newspaper (such as The New York Times) will write: James's house. Regarding pronunciation, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that many (most?) pronounce it like: James house. Personally, I pronounce it the "correct" way: Jameses house. But one book said sometimes there are so many S sounds that you just can't pronounce all of them. The book's example was: Texas's capital. The book said you have three S sounds there. Thank you.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am aware of what you said and this is the reason why I asked the questions in the first post.
How would we treat this name of Barnes?

1. Barnes' :tick:
2. Barnes's :tick:

2. is more frequent.

This is what I said and you were aware of. ;-)

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
***NOT A TEACHER***Great question. Here in the United States, many people write: James' house. A few people and an occasional newspaper (such as The New York Times) will write: James's house. Regarding pronunciation, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that many (most?) pronounce it like: James house. Personally, I pronounce it the "correct" way: Jameses house. But one book said sometimes there are so many S sounds that you just can't pronounce all of them. The book's example was: Texas's capital. The book said you have three S sounds there. Thank you.

So you go with Barnes', am I right?
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would use Barnes'

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
1. Barnes' :tick:
2. Barnes's :tick:

2. is more frequent.

This is what I said and you were aware of. ;-)

OK, now I got your opinion. Your two posts are not clearly equivalent to me. Thanks.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I would use Barnes'

Thank you, Bhai.
I think so, because "Barnses" (Barns's) is more difficult to pronounce than "Barns" (Barns').

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you, Bhai.
I think so, because "Barnses" (Barns's) is more difficult to pronounce than "Barns" (Barns').

Yes, I think if you say "Barnses" it sounds like you have a speech impediment.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having grown up with friends named Barnes, we always said "The Barnses' house" as barn-zis.

If we wanted to talk about one of them, it was Jim Barnes's - said the same way.

I know it's a matter of style, but I always, always, use the 's form for people (or es' for plural) and add the "ziz" sound.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Stupendous answer to a wonderful question, I agree! Quite marvelous.
I'm in awe. Let me catch my breath before I go on.

[a little later]
I agree with your answer. That's how I write and pronounce it.
But I have one very small comment, and it's certainly not a criticism of your quite astounding answer.
The first two 's' sounds in Texas's are /s/ and the third is /z/, so this isn't really comparable to, say, Jesus's, which has three /z/ in a row, all of which, personally, I pronounce on the few occasions I need to say it.
Thanks for your post; immensely interesting!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stupendous answer to a wonderful question, I agree! Quite marvelous.
I'm in awe. Let me catch my breath before I go on.

[a little later]
I agree with your answer. That's how I write and pronounce it.
But I have one very small comment, and it's certainly not a criticism of your quite astounding answer.
The first two 's' sounds in Texas's are /s/ and the third is /z/, so this isn't really comparable to, say, Jesus's, which has three /z/ in a row, all of which, personally, I pronounce on the few occasions I need to say it.
Thanks for your post; immensely interesting!
Thank you for your kind note. And thank you for the correction regarding " Texas's ." I am just an ordinary native speaker, so it was easier to say "S sound." Thanks to your reminder, I checked my books and realized that I should have used the word "sibilants." This website helps me to keep improving my native language thanks to teachers like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.