• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question as...as...

1 In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice what it was in the 1970's.

2 In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as it was in the 1970's.

Dear teachers,

I have a question about as...as... The first sentence is taken from my textbook , and I do think it is the idiomatic way to talk about a kind of comparison. The second one is made by me, because I have been trying to learn how to use "as...as..." , but I am not sure whether it is correct and has the same meaning.

My trouble is that since I lack language sense, I am always struggling to manipulate English by grammar. Before posting this question, I've searched the usage of "as...as...", but seems that, at least to me, the usage is complicated, because the second "as" can be followed by a noun, a noun phrase, a noun clause and a sentence. Could you kindly tell me if there are some rules I can comply when I make an idiomatic sentence with "as...as..."?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: as...as...

The RATE of the 80s was almost twice the RATE of the 70s.
    The RATE of the 80s was almost twice THAT of the 70s.
    The RATE of the 80s was almost twice WHAT IT WAS in the 70s

Those all mean the same thing.

While the number of minorities may have been increasing twice as fast, you can't say that the rate was twice as fast.

A comparison: One car may travel twice as fast as another car, but its SPEED is twice the speed of/twice that of/twice what it is of another car.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: as...as...

I think you hit the point and your reply is convincing. Thank you so much .