car cosmetician?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palinkasocsi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Friends,

Is there such a profession as 'car cosmetician' in standard English? I mean someone who works in a car wash and cleans cars. Anyway, is it car wash or car cosmetics/cosmetician? Any difference?

Thank you very much for your help.

Palinkasocsi

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Friends,

Is there such a profession as 'car cosmetician' in standard English? I mean someone who works in a car wash and cleans cars. Anyway, is it car wash or car cosmetics/cosmetician? Any difference?

Thank you very much for your help.

Palinkasocsi

In BrE, it's "a car wash". I have never heard the term "car cosmetician", I think someone who works in a car wash is a "car wash assistant". In my experience though, the vast majority of car washes are automatic.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In AusE, this person is a 'car detailer'. Such people are employed by sales yards.
More is involved than just washing the car. It needs to be vacuumed and polished inside, deodorized, the floor mats straightened, etc.

palinkasocsi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Does a 'car wash assistant' do things like vacuuming and polishing inside, deodorizing, etc, or does he just wash the car? Or is there another word for someone who washes the car and cleans the inside of it too?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Does a 'car wash assistant' do things like vacuuming and polishing inside, deodorizing, etc, or does he just wash the car? Or is there another word for someone who washes the car and cleans the inside of it too?
A car wash assistant just washes the outside of the car. The kind of cleaning that you describe, and that Raymott describes as the work of a "car detailer" is the work of a "car valet" in BrE.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A car wash assistant just washes the outside of the car. The kind of cleaning that you describe, and that Raymott describes as the work of a "car detailer" is the work of a "car valet" in BrE.
... pronounced either /'væleɪ/ or /'vælɪt/.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.