• Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

An article on hockey

I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss to write on this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sports. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousands for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividend to them, although just verbally commitment. It was unfortunate time that they went on the strike, when world cup is just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they decided any other time?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: An article on hockey

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post
    I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss to write on this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sports. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousands for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividend to them, although just verbally commitment. It was unfortunate time that they went on the strike, when world cup is just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they decided any other time?
    Do you want this corrected?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss a chance to write about this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sports. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousands for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividends to them, although they only got a verbal commitment. It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup is just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?
    Is "hit hamper while the iron is hot" Indian English? (In AmE it would be: "Strike while the iron is hot.")

Last edited by RonBee; 15-Jan-2010 at 23:57. Reason: add parenthesis

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Is "hit hamper while the iron is hot" Indian English? (In AmE it would be: "Strike while the iron is hot.")

No It's my english I was tring to recollect the proverb..thats what i was able to gather...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re:
    It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?
    Assuming that I was in a bit too much of a hurry (I was), how can that sentence be improved? (Hint: think small.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Re:
    It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?
    Assuming that I was in a bit too much of a hurry (I was), how can that sentence be improved? (Hint: think small.)

how about the following:

Although I agree it was unfortunate time for them to go on strike with the World Cup just few days away, but could there have been any other better time for them to air there grievances?

It was unfortunate that they decided to strike with the world cup just round the corner, but could there have been any other better time than this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

how about the following:

It was unfortunate that they decided to strike with the world cup just round the corner, but could there have been any other better time than this?
    If you delete "other" it's good.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

It was an easier fix than you thought, new2grammar. add one and subtract two, thus:
    It was an unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

It was an easier fix than you thought, new2grammar. add one and subtract two, thus:
    It was an unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

think small that was your hint and now I would take it as a new rule. Thanks for your kind help.