Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss to write on this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sports. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousands for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividend to them, although just verbally commitment. It was unfortunate time that they went on the strike, when world cup is just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they decided any other time?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss to write on this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sports. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousands for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividend to them, although just verbally commitment. It was unfortunate time that they went on the strike, when world cup is just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they decided any other time?

Do you want this corrected?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am a bit late to write on this topic, but as I am follower of a hockey, how can I miss a chance to write about this? You are right, I am speaking about the recent hockey players’ strike for their extremely over-due incentives. In India cricket is more of an entertainment and a business than a sport[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]. A cricketer gets lakhs for a match and annual income runs into crore, but on the other hand our hockey players just get few thousand[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] for a match. Someone has rightly said hit hamper when the iron is hot, and our hockey players just followed that golden rule, and it paid dividends to them, although they only got a verbal commitment. It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?
Is "hit hamper while the iron is hot" Indian English? (In AmE it would be: "Strike while the iron is hot.")

:)

Last edited:

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is "hit hamper while the iron is hot" Indian English? (In AmE it would be: "Strike while the iron is hot.")

No It's my english I was tring to recollect the proverb..thats what i was able to gather...:-D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re:
It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

Assuming that I was in a bit too much of a hurry (I was), how can that sentence be improved? (Hint: think small.)

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re:
It was unfortunate time that for them to go on the strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

Assuming that I was in a bit too much of a hurry (I was), how can that sentence be improved? (Hint: think small.)

how about the following:

Although I agree it was unfortunate time for them to go on strike with the World Cup just few days away, but could there have been any other better time for them to air there grievances?

It was unfortunate that they decided to strike with the world cup just round the corner, but could there have been any other better time than this?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
how about the following:

It was unfortunate that they decided to strike with the world cup just round the corner, but could there have been any other better time than this?
If you delete "other" it's good.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was an easier fix than you thought, new2grammar. add one and subtract two, thus:
It was an unfortunate time [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] for them to go on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

:):up:

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It was an easier fix than you thought, new2grammar. add one and subtract two, thus:
It was an unfortunate time [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] for them to go on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] strike with the world cup just few days away, but would anyone have heard them if they had done it at any other time?

:):up:

think small that was your hint and now I would take it as a new rule. Thanks for your kind help.

Status
Not open for further replies.