• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 8,055
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

is it correct to say: world english at your reach
I mean the preposition AT is correct in this phrase?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase within reach is more usual.

:)

krompe

Member Type
Student or Learner
I saw this expression in an ad for an English Institute in Brazil as a slogan, and my teacher said that "at your reach" in this case is plainly WRONG and that the CORRECT expression is "world English within your reach". :-?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

The expression 'at your reach' seems to only occur in advertising campaigns. I guess that's okay, but I wouldn't use it in speech or writing.

krompe

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

The expression 'at your reach' seems to only occur in advertising campaigns. I guess that's okay, but I wouldn't use it in speech or writing.

I'm still not clear whether it is or not correct to use it as a slogan :oops:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm still not clear whether it is or not correct to use it as a slogan :oops:

No it isn't correct, as other posters have said, it should be "within (your) reach".

majo

Member Type
Student or Learner
No it isn't correct, as other posters have said, it should be "within (your) reach".

I don't see it so clearly. Does "more common" mean the rest are wrong?

I've seen the expression not only in the ad for a school in Brazil, but also in a thousand other websites.

Couldn't it be creative use of the language because it sounds more catchy to say "at your reach" than "within your reach"? Would it be considered a mistake if used by a native speaker? :roll:

PLEASE see thread "COLLOCATION" in this forum

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't see it so clearly. Does "more common" mean the rest are wrong?

I've seen the expression not only in the ad for a school in Brazil, but also in a thousand other websites.

Couldn't it be creative use of the language because it sounds more catchy to say "at your reach" than "within your reach"? Would it be considered a mistake if used by a native speaker? :roll:

PLEASE see thread "COLLOCATION" in this forum

Thanks

A native speaker wouldn't use "at your reach".

lisalpa

Member Type
English Teacher
The phrase within reach is more usual.

Hi! krompe I go along with you, I'm still not clear whether this is correct or not. Two native speakers have answered and they don't seem to agree :shock:
Also there's the answer to the other thread mentioned "COLLOCATION" where a teacher -though not native- says the expression could be ok. It seems there's no clear answer to the question :roll:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't notice any disagreement. However, I was surprised to find more hits (on Google) for "at your reach" than for "within your reach". Interesting.

I don't notice any disagreement either. I followed your links Ron but the quoted search words didn't come out right for some reason. Anyway, I did my own testing and "within reach" is way ahead of "at your reach".

For those who are still wondering, a native speaker will collocate "within reach" and perhaps to a lesser degree "within your reach". On the other hand, they will know that "at your reach" is non-native.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It might have made a difference that I was working on a computer set up for people whose native language is Spanish. (Also, the computer decided to go on strike.) Let's try again.

The point shouldn't be the counts of the hits.To me, the point is the same old problem; when the incorrect usage surpasses way beyond the usage of the correct one, should we accept the incorrect one as correct?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I don't know about at your reach. I wouldn't use it. Both within reach and within your reach seem more natural to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.