Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
How would you respond to tell your boy/girlfriend (or, anyone for [3]) that you share the same feelings for him/her? Which would you say if you only have the two alternatives, "Me too" and "You too"?

[1]
Your boy/girlfriend: I miss you.
You: Me too/You too.

[2]
Your boy/girlfriend: I love you.

[3]
Anyone: Thank you.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
How would you respond to tell your boy/girlfriend (or, anyone for [3]) that you share the same feelings for him/her? Which would you say if you only have the two alternatives, "Me too" and "You too"?

[1]

[2]

[3]

For numbers [1] and [2] the answer is "Me too."

Regarding number [3] neither seems to be appropriate. However, if you interpret "Thank you" as "I thank you," then "Me too," meaning "I thank you too" could be possible - but this is not idiomatic and sounds weird, do not use it.

A recent related thread is: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/113147-niether-am-i.html

For possible answers to [3], see: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...w-do-you-reply-when-people-say-thank-you.html

Not a native speaker

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

[1]

[2]

[3]
***NOT A TEACHER***HHS: I offer the following comments for your consideration. (1) Tom: I love you./ Mona: Me, too. *** From a novel: So I said, "I love you." And he said, "Oh, me, too." I said, "Can't you say 'I love you, too' ?" (2) Suzy: I thank you very much./ Ralph: And you, too. = And I thank you, too. (3) George: I will miss you./ Brenda: Me, too. ***It appears that native speakers in this case prefer a complete sentence: I will miss you, too. *** Some people even reply: And I, you. ( the comma = will miss) Thank you.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
So I said, "I love you." And he said, "Oh, me, too." I said, "Can't you say 'I love you, too' ?"

It reminds me of the movie 'Ghost' in which Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) could never reply 'I love you too' to Molly Jensen (Demi Moore) while he was alive.

He would always reply simply 'ditto.'

Status
Not open for further replies.