• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Kindly check it's a small article on journalism

So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagers in the city – committing suicides in Mumbai. Do you believe it have increased suddenly? The fact is that it’s just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep there news business intact, to be more appropriate to keep people busy thinking on the topics, which they have had never though about. It’s just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi – lacks professionalism.

Kindly also tell me verb 'lack'(in the last sentence) agree with subject- it's just another case in point or the Indian news journalism? I think it's just another case in point

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Kindly check it's a small article on journalism

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post
    So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagerscommitting suicides in the city of (in) Mumbai! Do you believe it has (have) increased suddenly? The fact is that it’s just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep their news business intact, to be more specific/appropriate to keep people busy thinking on (the) topics, which they have had never thought of/about. It’s just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi – lacks professionalism.

Kindly also tell me verb 'lack'(in the last sentence) agree with subject- it's just another case in point or the Indian news journalism? I think it's just another case in point
    ‘it’ in the second sentence refers to ‘surge’ which is singular. ‘lacks’ agrees with its subject ‘journalism’ which is uncountable
    Last edited by sarat_106; 17-Jan-2010 at 13:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Kindly check it's a small article on journalism

So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagers in the city committing suicides in Mumbai. Do you believe it have increased suddenly? The fact is that its just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep there news business intact, to be more appropriate to keep people busy thinking on the topics, which they have had never though about. Its just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi lacks professionalism.

***NOT A TEACHER*** So suddenly there is a surge of suicides, especially among teenagers, in Mumbai. Do you think it has suddenly increased? It is actually a media-created sensation inspired by the release of a new movie. The media, anxious to stay in business, is constantly reporting news that people had not previously been interested in. This case further shows that Indian journalism, specifically the Hindi-language sector, lacks true professionalism.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Kindly check it's a small article on journalism

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    ‘it’ in the second sentence refers to ‘surge’ which is singular. ‘lacks’ agrees with its subject ‘journalism’ which is uncountable
    Kindly correct me if I am wrong..

Do you believe it have increased suddenly?

I suppose 'have' is appropriate in the above sentence
    because sentence starts with 'do'...or it need only to agree with surge as you said...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Kindly check it's a small article on journalism

Kindly correct me if I am wrong..

Do you believe it have increased suddenly?

I suppose 'have' is appropriate in the above sentence
    because sentence starts with 'do'...or it need only to agree with surge as you said...
    No, the sentence has two clauses.
    1) Do you believe?
    2) (that) it(=the surge) has increased suddenly. ('that' is a dropped here.)
    Last edited by sarat_106; 18-Jan-2010 at 03:17.