Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #1

    What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    Thanks.


    It is not a technical measure, but concerns you and your behaviour:
    - Do not click on links in emails coming from sources you do not recognize
    or trust. Authentic email messages from legitimate sources can mostly be
    identified by sender and content as well as a valid email signature.
    - Even legitimate websites can spread malware after they were hacked.
    Even web servers of the XYZ have been successfully hacked in the past.
    - In addition, please exercise discretion when browsing the internet and
    avoid unsecured and doubtful sites. Malicious hackers in particular corrupt
    websites advertising seemingly tempting offers or also pornographic oriented
    websites, the use of which is not permitted within the XYZ in the
    first place
    .

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #2

    Re: What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    Thanks.


    It is not a technical measure, but concerns you and your behaviour:
    - Do not click on links in emails coming from sources you do not recognize
    or trust. Authentic email messages from legitimate sources can mostly be
    identified by sender and content as well as a valid email signature.
    - Even legitimate websites can spread malware after they were hacked.
    Even web servers of the XYZ have been successfully hacked in the past.
    - In addition, please exercise discretion when browsing the internet and
    avoid unsecured and doubtful sites. Malicious hackers in particular corrupt
    websites advertising seemingly tempting offers or also pornographic oriented
    websites, the use of which is not permitted within the XYZ in the
    first place
    .
    It means that accessing those sites is forbidden by XYZ.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #3

    Re: What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It means that accessing those sites is forbidden by XYZ.
    I think that what you said is for the part "the use of which is not permitted within the XYZ" of the last sentence.
    But I don't understand the usage of the phase "the first place". I guess, it refers to some place somewhere, am I right?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #4

    Re: What does "the first place" in the following paragraph refer to?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    I think that what you said is for the part "the use of which is not permitted within the XYZ" of the last sentence.
    But I don't understand the usage of the phase "the first place". I guess, it refers to some place somewhere, am I right?
    No, it means that from the beginning they have never permitted that.

Similar Threads

  1. a question on the ellipsis usage
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2008, 18:50
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2008, 15:39
  3. A good Paragraph
    By kimroeun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2007, 07:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •