[General] Pronunciation of "Memo""

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to know how do you pronounce the word "Memo", please don't ask me to search it in dictionaries as I have many dictionaries, I just want to know what you say, you can express it in phonetic symbols, thanks.

WYH

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
/ˈmem əʊ/

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
What's your problem with dictionaries? If a dictionary offers various pronunciations for some word in American English, yes, you need to know which is prominent and where.

memo is straight forward:ˈmɛmoʊ

If you want reliable source for american pronunciations, check Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

This MW dictionary is better than others.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think Williamyh's interest is in the variation of pronunciation. He probably hears a word pronounced in a strange way on tv/radio/internet and it sparks an interest.

My pronunciation isn't much different - Scottish English lacks variety of diphthongs compared to English English. - ['mɛmo]

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
I think Williamyh's interest is in the variation of pronunciation. He probably hears a word pronounced in a strange way on tv/radio/internet and it sparks an interest.

My pronunciation isn't much different - Scottish English lacks variety of diphthongs compared to English English. - ['mɛmo]

In my country, most people would pronounce [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈ[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]miːmo[/FONT][/FONT], do you think this is a common pronunciation?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
In my country, most people would pronounce [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈ[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]miːmo[/FONT][/FONT], do you think this is a common pronunciation?
Not among native speakers, no.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
So most of native speakers would pronounce 'me or 'mɛ, right?

Right. I think the sounds /ɛ/ and /e/ are the same thing, just different systems of phonetic script. I'll actually start a thread about that to find out....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It is used, but perhaps not as commonly as in Outer Space if, as you say, that is the majority pronunciation there. Is English native in O.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.