• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

All you need

All you need to be an expert chef is a pinch of imagination and cup full of fun

All you need to be an expert chef are a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun

All you need to be an expert chef...a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation re: All you need

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post
    All (The only thing)you need to be an expert chef is a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun

All you need to be an expert chef are a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun

All you need to be an expert chef...a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun.
    The first sentence is perfectly oK. The word 'all' functioning as pronoun in the sub-clause is to be treated as singular, so it needs a singulsr verb.
    Or you can say;
    A pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun are all that you need to be an expert chef.
    Or
    A pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun are all that is needed to become an expert chef.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 19-Jan-2010 at 15:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

re: All you need

I'd write this way;

What you need for being an expert chef is a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    The first sentence is perfectly oK. The word 'all' functioning as pronoun in the sub-clause is to be treated as singular, so it needs a singulsr verb.
    Or you can say;
    A pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun are all that you need to be an expert chef.
    Or
    A pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun are all that is needed to become an expert chef.
    thanks for your explanation...I know it can be written in many other ways as you suggested but with the original sentnce

All (The only thing)you need to be an expert chef is a pinch of imagination and a cup full of fun

I just got confused...shall i use 'is' or 'are'...because it starts with 'all' that indicates more than one..so to me 'are' sounds correct...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

thanks for your explanation...I know it can be written in many other ways as you suggested but with the original sentnce

I just got confused...shall i use 'is' or 'are'...because it starts with 'all' that indicates more than one..so to me 'are' sounds correct...
    "is" is correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: All you need

After the confirmation by bhaisahab, you should not have any doubt. You are confused because of the word ‘All’ which you perhaps think is always plural but it is not so. The question of plural form arises if a word is countable noun or a pronoun referring to a plural noun. ‘All’ is basically used as adjective which has no form but it can modify a countable noun (plural): all students, all kinds or an uncountable (all ways singular):It is beyond all doubt, The coat is all wool. ‘All’ is also used as pronoun ( when it takes the form of its referent), rarely as noun ( I am the monarch of all) and some times as adverb (She is all alone)