Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 254
    #1

    The opposites?

    Hi

    are these antonyms of phrases correct? if not what is the correct one?

    a tough question # an easy question
    tough meat # soft/tender meat

    rich food # light food
    a rich person # a poor person

    a strong man # a weak man
    a strong taste # a diluted taste

    clear instructions # vague instructions
    a clear sky# a couldy sky

    fair hair # dark hair
    a fair decision # an unfair decision

    a sweet apple #
    a sweet wine # bitter wine

    a free man # a captive man
    a free seat # an occupied seat


    Thank you in advance.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: The opposites?

    Quote Originally Posted by maral55 View Post
    Hi

    are these antonyms of phrases correct? if not what is the correct one?

    a tough question # an easy question
    tough meat # soft/tender meat

    rich food # light food
    a rich person # a poor person

    a strong man # a weak man
    a strong taste # a diluted taste

    clear instructions # vague instructions
    a clear sky# a couldy sky

    fair hair # dark hair
    a fair decision # an unfair decision

    a sweet apple #
    a sweet wine # bitter wine

    a free man # a captive man
    a free seat # an occupied seat


    Thank you in advance.
    The one you haven't done is "a sour apple". The usual antonym for "sweet wine" is "dry wine".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 61
    #3

    Re: The opposites?

    Quote Originally Posted by maral55 View Post
    Hi

    are these antonyms of phrases correct? if not what is the correct one?

    fair hair # dark hair

    .
    Hi,

    I didnt understand the meaning of fair hair. Is it blond?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: The opposites?

    Quote Originally Posted by anishjp View Post
    Hi,

    I didnt understand the meaning of fair hair. Is it blond?
    Some would say blond. There are many shades of blond, often called fair hair.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 37
    #5

    Smile Re: The opposites?

    well.I think that there is a mistake:
    clear sky>< cloudy sky
    not couldy sky
    I am right?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: The opposites?

    Quote Originally Posted by casablanca_30391 View Post
    well.I think that there is a mistake:
    clear sky>< cloudy sky
    not couldy sky
    I am right?
    Yes, you are right.

Similar Threads

  1. choose the right opposites of the words
    By program2 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2008, 00:04
  2. Definition of opposites
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2008, 12:28
  3. Opposites
    By Desmond Tauro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2007, 12:24
  4. opposites attract
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2005, 21:49
  5. opposites
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2004, 20:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •