[General] Pronunciation of "Steak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Do you agree the pronunciation of "Steak" is equal to "Stay" plus "k" sound at the end?

WYH

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi Everybody,

Do you agree the pronunciation of "Steak" is equal to "Stay" plus "k" sound at the end?

WYH

for pronunciation kindly visit the website howjsay.com, just punch in your ord and hear yourself

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

WYH
Do you have an reason to believe the dictionary writers are lying?

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Do you have an reason to believe the dictionary writers are lying?

You misunderstand me, I never say dictionary writers are lying, actually I have a lot of dictionaries CDs...such as Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, LDOCE 5, Oxford Advanced English Dictionary 7th, Cambridge Dictionary,Merriam-Webster's Dictionary....so on and so on. I understand most of dictionaries are using the standard english pronunciation. But in the real world, native speakers may not follow the standard english to pronounce the word, so I just wanted to get more information from native speakers about the different ways of english pronunciation...that's my point...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You misunderstand me, I never say dictionary writers are lying, actually I have a lot of dictionaries CDs...such as Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, LDOCE 5, Oxford Advanced English Dictionary 7th, Cambridge Dictionary,Merriam-Webster's Dictionary....so on and so on. I understand most of dictionaries are using the standard english pronunciation. But in the real world, native speakers may not follow the standard english to pronounce the word, so I just wanted to get more information from native speakers about the different ways of english pronunciation...that's my point...
No, I don't think I do misunderstand you.
The work has been done. The dictionary writers have already asked people such as are on this forum how they pronounce 'steak' and other words. If, in the real world, native speakers pronounce it some other way, then the dictionaries will note this.
That is part of the function of a dictionary.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everybody,

WYH

Yes. But how people pronounce 'stay' will differ among accents. However they pronounce 'stay' though, 'steak' will be the same plus a /k/ at the end.:)

There's no way you could know all the possible accent variations of words (mostly vowels) in English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In some British regions, there is a stronger emphasis on the sound that William is asking about. I come from the a town in the Midlands and, for instance, the last syllable of 'yesterday' is more heavily accented by some speakers there. I'l have to pop into a restaurant next time I go back and see how they say 'steak'.

Status
Not open for further replies.