[General] Pronunciation "Island" and "Ireland"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

What are the pronunciation difference between "Island" and "Ireland"? If I don't check the phonetics of these two words, I almost can't distinguish the pronunciation of these two words....please advise.

WYH

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everybody,

What are the pronunciation difference between "Island" and "Ireland"? If I don't check the phonetics of these two words, I almost can't distinguish the pronunciation of these two words....please advise.

WYH

Standard British English - Island /'aɪ.lənd/
- Ireland /ˈaɪə.lənd/

There is little difference phonetically, so there will be even less difference in speech. I guess the first syllable of 'Ireland' is a triphthong, so will sound longer than the diphthong in 'island'.

In my own accent the difference is much greater:

Island - /'eɪlənd/

Ireland - /'aɪjərlənd/

But I would have trouble distinguishing 'island' from 'Ireland' in speech with a standard English English accent.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
- Ireland /ˈaɪə.lənd/

There is little difference phonetically, so there will be even less difference in speech. I guess the first syllable of 'Ireland' is a triphthong, so will sound longer than the diphthong in 'island'.

Island - /'eɪlənd/

Ireland - /'aɪjərlənd/

But I would have trouble distinguishing 'island' from 'Ireland' in speech with a standard English English accent.

I see...tks

phinamdl

Member Type
Student or Learner
- Ireland /ˈaɪə.lənd/

Island - /'eɪlənd/

Ireland - /'aɪjərlənd/

Hi Linguist

I read your reply. I don't still know. What difference between "Standard British - english" and "Standard english - English"
Plz explain it for me. Thanks in advance

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Linguist

I read your reply. I don't still know. What difference between "Standard British - english" and "Standard english - English"
Plz explain it for me. Thanks in advance

There is no real difference. There are another three countries in Britain, however, and each of these countries has their own standard pronunciation.

I made the distinction because I said 'in my own accent', which would be Standard Scottish English. So, I said Standard English English to differentiate between the two. When people say 'Standard British English' they mean 'Standard English English'.

phinamdl

Member Type
Student or Learner
There is no real difference. There are another three countries in Britain, however, and each of these countries has their own standard pronunciation.

I made the distinction because I said 'in my own accent', which would be Standard Scottish English. So, I said Standard English English to differentiate between the two. When people say 'Standard British English' they mean 'Standard English English'.

thank linguist. ^^! I knew your meaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.