Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
A friend of mine wrote the following sentence.
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress that the ASEAN concludes FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

I think that this sentence should be rewritten as
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward the ASEAN's conclusion FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A friend of mine wrote the following sentence.
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress that the ASEAN concludes FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

I think that this sentence should be rewritten as
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward the ASEAN's conclusion FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

What do you think?
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward ASEAN's free trade agreements with Korea and Japan."
'Respectively' is unnecessary; it's meaningless in this situation.It's only used when different things are distributed over more than one object. Examples:
ASEAN has decided to offer full free trade, and partial free trade to Korea and Japan respectively.

That means full free trade to Korea, and partial free trade to Japan.
Peters daughters, Mary, Jane and Kathy are aged 12, 10 and 8 respectively. (Mary is 12 ... etc.)

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward ASEAN's free trade agreements with Korea and Japan."
'Respectively' is unnecessary; it's meaningless in this situation.It's only used when different things are distributed over more than one object. Examples:
ASEAN has decided to offer full free trade, and partial free trade to Korea and Japan respectively.
That means full free trade to Korea, and partial free trade to Japan.
Peters daughters, Mary, Jane and Kathy are aged 12, 10 and 8 respectively. (Mary is 12 ... etc.)

Sorry, I made a mistake.

I wanted to rewirte as follows:
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward the ASEAN's conclusion of an FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

Is this sentence OK?

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Sorry, I made a mistake.

I wanted to rewirte as follows:
"The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making progress toward the ASEAN's conclusion of an FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively."

Is this sentence OK?

I will rewrite it in a different style.

[FONT=&quot]"The FTA network of East Asia is promoted by the ASEAN by entering an FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively.[/FONT]"

Is this clear enough?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

[FONT=&quot]"The FTA network of East Asia is promoted by the ASEAN by entering an FTA with Korea and Japan, respectively.[/FONT]"

Is this clear enough?

No, it does not convey, what your friend meant or the spirit of FTA. Let us understand what is ASEAN and FTA. The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has come to an understanding with nations to form the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) which is a trade bloc agreement supporting local manufacturing in all ASEAN countries.

The AFTA agreement was signed on 28 January 1992 in Singapore. When the AFTA agreement was originally signed, ASEAN had six members, namely, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. Vietnam joined in 1995, Laos and Myanmar in 1997 and Cambodia in 1999. AFTA which comprises ten countries of ASEAN a few years back, is emerging as the hub for Asia's FTAs, with other major Asian economies joining the FTA bandwagon and has so far 54 concluded FTAs. So the progress is indicative of conclusion of more FTAs.

Yiur previous sentence is close to the actual meaning with the modifications in red..
The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making continued progress with the ASEAN's conclusion of two more FTAs entered/signed with Korea and Japan."
Or
The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) network of East Asia is making steady progress as the ASEAN concluded two more FTAs with Korea and Japan."

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

[FONT=&quot]"The FTA network of East Asia is promoted by [/FONT][STRIKE]the[/STRIKE][FONT=&quot] ASEAN [/FONT][STRIKE]by[/STRIKE][FONT=&quot] entering an FTA with Korea and Japan[/FONT][STRIKE], respectively.[/STRIKE]"

Is this clear enough?
No. Did you understand my point about "respectively"?
Also in English, we say 'ASEAN', not "the ASEAN", as in 'NATO, NASA' etc.
Sarat is probably right about the context, which might change the veracity of the sentence. I'm only commenting on the grammar.

Last edited:

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
No. Did you understand my point about "respectively"?
Also in English, we say 'ASEAN', not "the ASEAN", as in 'NATO, NASA' etc.
Sarat is probably right about the context, which might change the veracity of the sentence. I'm only commenting on the grammar.

I read your previous posts and understood the usage of "respectively." Thank you.

The UN (short for the United Nations) and the USA (short for the United States of America) require "the." Can I understand that "the" is unnecessary in the case of "ASEAN," "NATO", or "NASA" because they are pronounced like "a-sea-an," "nay-to," and "nah-sah" while "USA" is not "you-sah" but "you-es-ei"?

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I read your previous posts and understood the usage of "respectively." Thank you.

Let me confirm one thing.

This is correct: The first and second internal conductors are connected to the external electrodes, respectively.

This is wrong: The first and second internal conductors are connected to the external electrodes, respectively.

but this is correct: The first and second internal conductors are connected to the respective external electrodes.

Is my understanding correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

The UN (short for the United Nations) and the USA (short for the United States of America) require "the." Can I understand that "the" is unnecessary in the case of "ASEAN," "NATO", or "NASA" because they are pronounced like "a-sea-an," "nay-to," and "nah-sah" while "USA" is not "you-sah" but "you-es-ei"?
Yes, that is probably the reason.
We say 'UNICEF', 'UNESCO', but 'the UN', even though 'UN' stands for the same words in all cases.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

This is correct: The first and second internal conductors are connected to the external electrodes, respectively.
No.
The first and second internal conductors are connected to the red and black external electrodes, respectively.
(This means that the first internal is connected to the red; and the second internal to the black).

This is wrong: The first and second internal conductors are connected to the external electrodes, respectively.
Yes, it's wrong; but isn't this the same as above?

but this is correct: The first and second internal conductors are connected to their respective external electrodes.
This would be right if the reader already knew which were the respective external electrodes for the internal electrodes.

This would be fully explanatory:
Connect the internal electrodes to their respective external electrodes - red to red, black to black, etc.
R.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you Raymott.

"Tom and Susie visited Kyoto and Nara, respectively" means "Tom visited Kyoto and Susuie visited Nara."

Right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you Raymott.

"Tom and Susie visited Kyoto and Nara, respectively" means "Tom visited Kyoto and Susuie visited Nara."

Right?
Exactly. That is the correct way to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.