[General] line of work/look at the big picture/roll in/wanted by the police/public hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

In your line of work the commissions are always low at this time of year. You’ve going to look at the big picture and realize that you’re going to be rolling in it in a few months.

line of work = the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money

look at the big picture = look at everything; look at the entire situation

roll in = enjoy ample amounts of, especially of wealth, money
roll in it (the “it” meaning commissinss or money)

He was wanted by the police.

want = seek

He was acquitted on a charge of being idle and disorderly.

Judge Nkola Motata was on Thursday acquitted on a charge of "driving with an excessive amount of alcohol in his blood", but still faces a drunken-driving charge.

acquit = discharge; declare not quilty

The court begins the public hearing of this case on Monday.

hearing = a formal procedure, with issues of fact or law to be tried, in which parties have a right to be heard

public hearing = open hearing

Their signatures were very cleverly forged, coming at such a moment it looks like a frame-up.

frame-up = a conspiracy or plot for a malicious or evil purpose; especially, an act that incriminates a person on false evidence

One can see a huge frame-up in the making with another FBI stool-pigeon appearing as a volunteer.

frame-up = a scheme to incriminate an innocent person

stool-pigeon = a person acting as a decoy or as an informer, especially one who is a spy for the police

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They all look good to me except that the charge is usually drunk and disorderly. (It's hard to see how anybody can be idle and disorderly at the same time.)
:)

Reactions: vil

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The court begins the public hearing of this case on Monday.

hearing = a formal procedure, with issues of fact or law to be tried, in which parties have a right to be heard

public hearing = open hearing

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

I think ‘public hearing’ is usually conducted by Public bodies having quasi-judicial authority, such as city councils, boards of county commissioners, and planning commissions. Hearing by a court is normally open in eceptional cases it is in-camera(closed).

This is the practice followed in India.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.