1. Unregistered

Question Confused kid

Dear teachers

I still in the state of confusion as to the correct use of the following sentences. Can anybody enlighten me on this ? Which one is correct to refer to a reported event.

1) They said I was being taken to a police station
    2) They said I had to be taken to a police station

Is there any word to describe the movement of an animal, for example dog. Can we say : I saw a dog running across a road or I saw a dog scampering across a road.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused kid

(Not a teacher)

Which one is correct to refer to a reported event.

1) They said I was being taken to a police station
    2) They said I had to be taken to a police station
    The first means that you were told 'you are being taken to a police station' as you were on your way to the police station - that is, in the police car.

The second means that the 'they' told you that you have to be taken to a police station.

They are both correct, but they differ in their meaning. Hopefully, you can see that from what I said above.

Is there any word to describe the movement of an animal, for example dog. Can we say : I saw a dog running across a road or I saw a dog scampering across a road.
    English has more words than I care to imagine for ways of moving. You could say any of these for any animal - whichever is appropriate.

Off the top of my head, some adjectives to describe movement are: walk, run, jog, sprint, scamper, scurry, scramble, doddle, waddle, dilly-dally, bumble, stumble, hop, skip, spring, slide, squirm, slither. That's enough.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused kid

I agree with Linguist, but maybe this will be helpful...

1) They said I was being taken to a police station.
    You were going to a police station with them at the time they made the statement. If you are currently in the process of going to the police station, it should read: They say I am being taken to a police station.

2) They said I had to be taken to a police station.
    At the time that they made the statement, they believed that was it necessary for you to go to a police station with them.