[Grammar] AmI right to hate "Not only, ... but also"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Editor

Member Type
English Teacher
I edit a lot of English written by Chinese people, and often come across sentences like:

UsingEnglish.com not only helps teachers, but also benefits students.

[This is only a silly example, so please ignore whatever else might be wrong with it. In fact, this example does not upset me as much as others, i just can't think of anything better/worse.]

I believe it is a direct translation of 不光,... 而且...。

What I am asking about is whether the "but also" is the best way to start the next part of the sentence.

Personally, I think this sounds better:

UsingEnglish.com not only helps teachers, it benefits students.

Do people agree with me? Is there something wrong with the use of "Not only... but also"? Is there a place for "Not only, ... but also"?

Also, I am British, could this be a British/American English thing?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I edit a lot of English written by Chinese people, and often come across sentences like:

[This is only a silly example, so please ignore whatever else might be wrong with it. In fact, this example does not upset me as much as others, i just can't think of anything better/worse.]

What I am asking about is whether the "but also" is the best way to start the next part of the sentence.

Do people agree with me? Is there something wrong with the use of "Not only... but also"? Is there a place for "Not only, ... but also"?

How would you rephrase "Not only Peter Cook, but also Dudley Moore", for example?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

Just try to avoid excessive repetition. Since this is a correct usage of the English language only an immoderate repetition of it throughout the text would annoy the readers.

Not a native speaker

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think one problem may be the overuse of certain forms, which often comes from the seeming obsession some exams have with connectors. How often, say, do you use furthermore/moreover? Idon't use them as much as many learners. Not only/but also overuse may be more common amongst Chinese learners, I really couldn't say, but it is not confined to them by any means.

Sadly for you, as we move towards computer-graded writing, this is likely to increase not decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.