Thanks

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
I would like to kow how to pronounce the words
Scientists. is it saintiss? other words like
interestes? interess

Thanks

scientist /[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈsa[FONT=&quot]ɪ [FONT=&quot]ənt ɪst[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]s/[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

Cybil

Member Type
English Teacher
I would like to kow how to pronounce the words
Scientists. is it saintiss? other words like
interestes? interess

Thanks
Scientists is said more like: sigh-en-tests

another word that sounds similar is: interests: in-ter-ests

Please be sure to make the 't' sound so the words are understood clearly.

Last edited:

ModernDickens

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
When in presence of a tripthong, don't forget that you smoothing is an option ! Thus, by dropping the sound, the word pronounciation becomes [sa:mad:s], with @ standing for schwa. Polls suggest that an increasing number of speakers do opt for the reduced/smoothed variation, so it's worth mentioning it. Someone not familiar with English might not grasp the meaning of the word if they are only told about an extinct RP form. (although I accept that the term "extinc" is fallacious in the present case, but could apply to words such as "square" whose former RP form, [skwe:mad:] has grown out of fashion. Smoothing can be applied to almost any tripthongs(I haven't encountered any counter-examples so far) I was thinking of power [pau@] (RP) or [pa@] (smoothed) and many others.

I do hope that this will be of some help, "idljapanbrazil".
I have done my best to make the phonemes decipherable, and I have to say it was akin to fighting a lost battle...:lol:

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When in presence of a tripthong, don't forget that you smoothing is an option ! Thus, by dropping the sound, the word pronounciation becomes [sa:mad:s], with @ standing for schwa. Polls suggest that an increasing number of speakers do opt for the reduced/smoothed variation, so it's worth mentioning it. Someone not familiar with English might not grasp the meaning of the word if they are only told about an extinct RP form.

I'd say that even those totally familiar with English might misunderstand /sa:əs/ or even /sa:əns/ for 'science'.
Where were these polls held?

PS: Apologies for the orthography. This software has a mind of its own.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
When in presence of a tripthong, don't forget that you smoothing is an option
I have to disagree with you that 'science' containts a triphthong. To me, there is a diphthong followed by a schwa in the next syllable - /'saɪ.əns/. I would say the /ɪ/ is needed.

I agree with the 'power' being smoothed. Some accents might have 'power' and 'par' as homophones.

ModernDickens

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I have to disagree with you that 'science' containts a triphthong. To me, there is a diphthong followed by a schwa in the next syllable - /'saɪ.əns/. I would say the /ɪ/ is needed.

I agree with the 'power' being smoothed. Some accents might have 'power' and 'par' as homophones.

I'm not quite sure...As a matter of fact, I fail to undertand why shwa shouldn't receive an equal treatment and count as a sound, like the and the [a] vowels. The implication of not accepting that "science" contains a tripthong is the assertion that tripthongs don't exist , since shwa is the final vowel in all of them (eɪə, aɪə, ɔɪə, əʊə, aʊə)
So are you insinuating that tripthongs radically don't exist ?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh dear :-| I think the original poster will have tuned out long ago. If you people really want to argue the toss about triphthongs (note: 2 H's) please start a new thread. I'm closing this one.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.