[Grammar] able to be a chemistry tutor is the recognition of my academic excellence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
I think there are 3 mistakes in my sentences.
Could you please correct the mistakes that I point out?

Sentence:
2 years ago, I was a chemistry tutor.
This was important to me, because able to be a chemistry tutor is the recognition of my academic excellence.

Mistake1 :
“able to be….” Is not a noun clause.
I should rewrite it as “being able to be….”.

Mistake2:
“recognition is uncountable”, so saying the recognition doesn’t make sense.

Mistake3:
This was important to me is grammatically incorrect. Although this happened in the past, but it is still important for me now.

Thanks

timmpage

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

Question:
I think there are 3 mistakes in my sentences.
Could you please correct the mistakes that I point out?

Sentence:
2 years ago, I was a chemistry tutor.
This was important to me, because able to be a chemistry tutor is the recognition of my academic excellence.

Mistake1 :
“able to be….” Is not a noun clause.
I should rewrite it as “being able to be….”.

Mistake2:
“recognition is uncountable”, so saying the recognition doesn’t make sense.

Mistake3:
This was important to me is grammatically incorrect. Although this happened in the past, but it is still important for me now.

Thanks

You are mostly correct.

For mistake 1, I would use "to become" or "becoming" instead of "being" because your academic excellence allows you to start working as a tutor. Similarly, I would use "became" instead of "was" in your first statement.

For mistake 2, I don't agree that "recognition" is necessarily uncountable. "Winning an Oscar is one form of recognition of an actor's excellence." However, I would only use "the" with "only", i.e., "the only recognition" which doesn't catch the current meaning. So, "was recognition" is best -- note that I changed the tense because becoming a tutor was recognition at the time.

Mistake 3: The expression "was important to me" is not grammatically incorrect although it might be inaccurate or incomplete. You could say, "was and still is important to me".

Status
Not open for further replies.