Would +grammar teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisy1352

Member Type
Student or Learner
Robots will probably never replace humans. Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have companions who will do our drudgery for us?
Why "wouldn't"? It refers to future.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Robots will probably never replace humans. Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have companions who will do our drudgery for us?

In "wouldn't it be" "wouldn't" is a contraction of "would it not" why, in your opinion, should it not refer to the future?

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have companions who will do our drudgery for us?

What would be nice is the idea you have now.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
How do you come to that conclusion?

Same sentence, a bit rephrased

Wouldn't it be nice to imagine that having companions in the future who will do our drudgery for us?

This is how I understood the sentence. I thought that the sentence was so obvious not to conclude.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Same sentence, a bit rephrased

Wouldn't it be nice to imagine that having companions in the future who will do our drudgery for us?

This is how I understood the sentence. I thought that the sentence was so obvious not to conclude.
I think you're wrong. That's a different sentence with a different meaning.
What would be nice is having companions who will do our drudgery for us. There's no suggestion that the speaker is claiming that it's nice just thinking about that.
If you were correct, the speaker would say "Isn't is nice imagining that ..." not "Wouldn't it be nice ..."
"Wouldn't it be nice ..." is conditional, and the condition hasn't been met yet.
As the original poster rightly says, it refers to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.