[Vocabulary] phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Other
Hi all!

I have a question concerning phones. Yesterday in class I was talking about someone who had a mobile phone but did not have a stationary phone. The teacher corrected me and said that there is no such thing as "stationary phone" and I should use "land line" instead.

As I've always been a curious type of a person I've browsed the Internet and have found a few American websites, e.g. Vtech cordless stationary phone where there were "stationary phones".

Can English-speaking people comment on that? Perhaps somebody could also name all types of phones and explain the differences between them? I know there are some, e.g. mobile phone (UK) and cellular or cellphone (USA) or handy (Australia?).

Thanks a lot :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi all!

I have a question concerning phones. Yesterday in class I was talking about someone who had a mobile phone but did not have a stationary phone. The teacher corrected me and said that there is no such thing as "stationary phone" and I should use "land line" instead.

As I've always been a curious type of a person I've browsed the Internet and have found a few American websites, e.g. Vtech cordless stationary phone where there were "stationary phones".

Can English-speaking people comment on that? Perhaps somebody could also name all types of phones and explain the differences between them? I know there are some, e.g. mobile phone (UK) and cellular or cellphone (USA) or handy (Australia?).

Thanks a lot :)

In BrE the phone that you have in your home or office/place of work is mostly called a "land line" I have also heard "fixed line" used for this type of phone. I have never heard "stationary phone" used in that context (if at all).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Likewise.

I've heard "land line" many times, but never "stationary phone."

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

A quick look around the internet suggests that 'stationary phone' exists to contrast with 'cordless phone' - which would both be land lines

I have heard 'cordless phone' a lot; never heard of a 'stationary phone' until this thread. Personally, I'd just call a phone with a cord 'a phone', and if necessary specify when it was a cordless one.

Certainly, if you are contrasting with 'mobile phone', then 'land line' is appropriate.

anishjp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
South Africa
There are two types of connection

1) Wired

Land line or fixed line - Refers to how the phone is connected to the telcom exchange. A wire runs from the exchange to the house and finally to the phone. The wire needs to be connected to the phone all the time. So you cannot move around with the phone and hence it is stationary.

2) Wireless

Cellular Phone or Mobile phone - No wires, phone connects to the exchange via radio signals.

as technology changes, they are called by different names. Just like laptops for mobile PC's.

[Not a teacher]

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My land line is accessed through two cordless phones.

I think if someone said "a stationary" phone, I would assume it was a wall-mounted phone that you couldn't wander around and talk on. I would contrast it to a cordless phone, not a cellular/mobile phone.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Digital Enhanced Cordless Technology (DECT)

DECT phones are cordless land lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.