• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Short of

What does short of mean as in:1. There must be punishments, short of executions; 2. Department's abilities may not be brought to bear short of a presidential order. Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Short of

Quote Originally Posted by vredes View Post
    What does short of mean as in:1. There must be punishments, short of executions; 2. Department's abilities may not be brought to bear short of a presidential order. Thanks
    ***NOT A TEACHER***(1) We don't want to execute the criminal. There must be some other ways in which to punish him. Jail? A big fine? Community service? Probation? (2) The department is having trouble making people obey its directions. The department needs the president to issue an order: Obey this department. Nobody wants to make the president angry. So everyone will start obeying the department's directions. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

So in (1) it means 'other than' right? Is it just 'other than' or it also implies that 'executions are most likely than other punishments'?
    Sorry I don't get explanation (2). Does it mean that the president may not issue the order for the department's cause?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

So in (1) it means 'other than' right? Is it just 'other than' or it also implies that 'executions are most likely than other punishments'?
    Sorry I don't get explanation (2). Does it mean that the president may not issue the order for the department's cause?
    ***NOT A TEACHER***No problem. English can, indeed, be very confusing. No. 1 = Yes, you are correct. It would be a good idea to find some punishments that are other than executions. No. 2 = As I stated in my previous post, it means something like: No one respects the department. If the president issues an order like: I order everyone to cooperate with Department X, then people will cooperate with Department X because they know the president will be very angry if they disobey his order. Of course, no one wants the president to be angry with him/her. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Also this may be helping:
    bring to bear
    To exert; apply: bring pressure to bear on the student's parents.
    2. To put (something) to good use: "All of one's faculties are brought to bear in an effort to become fully incorporated into the landscape" (Barry Lopez).
    from bring to bear - definition of bring to bear by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    I didn't understand the sentence until I read the above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

"short of" means "except for".

The department's abilities may not be brought to bear, (short of)(except for) a presidential order.

"short of" very often appears at the beginning of the sentence.

(Short of)(Except for) a presidential order, the department's abilities may not be brought to bear.

(Short of)(Except for) actually doing his work for him, I did all I could to help him.