Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    little, less, and few

    Hello,
    Some moths ago I created a similar thread.
    However, I have not completely understood this topic.

    I hope the following questions can be answered
    (And no, they do not make any sense )

    Do we use little when we can't count things?
    You have too little knowledge.
    I will not go to the party because there will be too little fun.

    Do we use less when we can count things?
    You cannot buy this article because you have too less dollars.
    I have too less friends.

    Do we use few to compare both countable and uncountable things?
    Tom has only a few friends, but I have fewer friends.
    I have only little water, but some guys have fewer water.
    Yesterday I had less dollars, but today I even have fewer dollars.

    Thank you!

    Cheers!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #2

    Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    Some moths ago I created a similar thread.
    However, I have not completely understood this topic.

    I hope the following questions can be answered
    (And no, they do not make any sense )

    Do we use little when we can't count things?
    You have too little knowledge.
    I will not go to the party because there will be too little fun.

    Do we use less when we can count things?
    You cannot buy this article because you have too less dollars.
    You can't say "too less".
    I have too less friends.

    Do we use few to compare both countable and uncountable things?
    Tom has only a few friends, but I have fewer friends. This is correct.
    I have only little water, but some guys have fewer water. You can't mix "little" and "fewer" and you can't use "fewer" for uncountable nouns like "water".
    Yesterday I had less dollars, but today I even have fewer dollars. You can't say "less dollars", you can't use "less" for countable nouns.

    Thank you!

    Cheers!
    .

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #3

    Re: little, less, and few

    Thanks.

    Okay, but what are the correct versions for "too less"?
    What's the bigger form for "little"?

    P.S: I wrote "moths" instead of "months"- I've just seen it...

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #4

    Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    Some moths ago I created a similar thread.
    However, I have not completely understood this topic.

    I hope the following questions can be answered
    (And no, they do not make any sense )

    Do we use little when we can't count things?
    You have too little knowledge.
    I will not go to the party because there will be too little fun.

    Do we use less when we can count things?
    You cannot buy this article because you have too less dollars.
    I have too less friends.

    Do we use few to compare both countable and uncountable things?
    Tom has only a few friends, but I have fewer friends.
    I have only little water, but some guys have fewer water.
    Yesterday I had less dollars, but today I even have fewer dollars.

    Thank you!

    Cheers!
    ***NOT A TEACHER***(1) very little knowledge. (2)very little fun. (3)too few dollars. (4) too few friends. (5) I have little water/ I have only a little water -- some guys have less (water than I do). (6) I had few dollars/ I had a few dollars -- today I have even fewer dollars (than I did yesterday). *** few/fewer/the fewest = how many?; little/less/the least = how much?

  4. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #5

    Re: little, less, and few

    As far as I know;

    a few> few
    a little > little

    For a/few:
    I have a few friends and they are really good ones (It's ok even if I don't have more)
    I have few friends and this makes me unhappy.

    For a/little:
    There is a little water left and it's enough to quench my thirst.
    There is little water left and it's not enough to quench my thirst.
    Last edited by euncu; 28-Jan-2010 at 13:55.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #6

    Exclamation Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Thanks.

    Okay, but what are the correct versions for "too less"?
    What's the bigger form for "little"?

    P.S: I wrote "moths" instead of "months"- I've just seen it...

    Cheers!
    The expression ‘too less’ can be used as an adverb or adjective (to describe uncountable nouns). Look at the following sentences using the expression both as adjective and adverb.

    There was too less time for him, but he had done a quite good job for the time he had.

    Vitamins are essential for our body but the amount should not be too much or too less

    I have done too less to take the credit.

    The bigger form of ‘little’ are ‘less’ and ‘least’.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    The expression ‘too less’ can be used as an adverb or adjective (to describe uncountable nouns). Look at the following sentences using the expression both as adjective and adverb.

    There was too less time for him, but he had done a quite good job for the time he had.

    Vitamins are essential for our body but the amount should not be too much or too less

    I have done too less to take the credit.

    The bigger form of ‘little’ are ‘less’ and ‘least’.
    Maybe you can say "too less" in Indian English. It sounds very odd, as "too more" would.
    Elsewhere, we'd say "too little" for all the cases where you have "too less".

    more or less
    much or little: "too much or too little"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #8

    Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    The expression ‘too less’ can be used as an adverb or adjective (to describe uncountable nouns). Look at the following sentences using the expression both as adjective and adverb.

    There was too less time for him, but he had done a quite good job for the time he had.

    Vitamins are essential for our body but the amount should not be too much or too less

    I have done too less to take the credit.

    The bigger form of ‘little’ are ‘less’ and ‘least’.
    There is no such expression as *too less!!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #9

    Exclamation Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    There is no such expression as *too less!!
    I put the expression 'too less' in the Yahoo search which returned 947,000,000 results for Too less:

    I agree with Raymott that 'too' does not go well with 'less' (being the comparative form of little) and is not in common use but it does not deserve outright rejection.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #10

    Re: little, less, and few

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    I put the expression 'too less' in the Yahoo search which returned 947,000,000 results for Too less:

    I agree with Raymott that 'too' does not go well with 'less' (being the comparative form of little) and is not in common use but it does not deserve outright rejection.
    Then it would appear that you have simply uncovered 947,000,000 instances of people without a proper command of standard English (most likely, in the case of this phrase, non-natives) posting things on the Internet, a sadly far from atypical phenomenon which rather tends to invalidate Internet searches as a useful way of ever determining what is or is not correct English.

    As an educated native speaker and language professional, I can state with absolute certainly that 'too less' is NOT English!!!

    End of debate.

    EOC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •