Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
I need an expression or idiom for the situation below:
You're talking to Sb and you want to mention Sth that doesn't sound appropriate (it may be taken in bad part by the person) so you try to make it clear you don't mean to address them. (I've already heard of this: "Saving your presence,...") (In Persian we'd say "far from you...")

Example: (person A is a writer)
A: So, what do you think of writers?
B: Well, (...the idiom I'm looking for!) I think some writers don't even understand the subject they're writing about!

Thanks...(Sorry for my awful explanation!)

rlfwood

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Mehrgan,

A standard idiom for dealing with that situation (at least, in American English) would be "present company excepted".

So, for example,

"I think some writers don't even understand the subject they're writing about (present company excepted)."

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Mehrgan,

A standard idiom for dealing with that situation (at least, in American English) would be "present company excepted".

So, for example,

"I think some writers don't even understand the subject they're writing about (present company excepted)."

Hi dear rlfwood,
Many thanks for the expression. It's definitely of great help. And, yet, I wonder if anyone could give me Sth for daily speech. (It's, of course, great to have learnt such a nice expression,...So, ta!)

Last edited:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Mehrgan,

So, for example,

And, does "saving your presence" sound totally odd to you? Thanks in advance...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi dear rlfwood,
Many thanks for the expression. It's definitely of great help. And, yet, I wonder if anyone could give me Sth for daily speech. (It's, of course, great to have learnt such a nice expression,...So, ta!)
You can use 'present company excepted' in everyday speech, and it's used in British English too.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Many thanks to both dear posters...Ta!

Status