Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
As far as I read euphemism places against "taboo" and taboo is considered dirty or profane.
Is "pig and fuzz" for "police officer" a taboo or a derogatory?
And how can it be recognized whether sth is really a "taboo" or "derogatory"?
How about frightening or unpleasent subjects? Are they derogatory?

Thanks in advance.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Taboos are those things that are morally, socially or religiously unacceptable and//or forbidden [[Speaking to your mother-in-law is taboo is some societies; sexual intercourse with children is taboo in many countries]]

Something that is derogatory is likely to show a person in a bad light - thus filth, pig and fuzz as euphemisms for policeman are derogatory, whereas the English term bobby was not.

You will have to provide specific examples of "frightening" or "unpleasant" subjects to judge whether they could be categorised in this way.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Taboos are those things that are morally, socially or religiously unacceptable and//or forbidden [[Speaking to your mother-in-law is taboo is some societies; sexual intercourse with children is taboo in many countries]]

Something that is derogatory is likely to show a person in a bad light - thus filth, pig and fuzz as euphemisms for policeman are derogatory, whereas the English term bobby was not.

You will have to provide specific examples of "frightening" or "unpleasant" subjects to judge whether they could be categorised in this way.
Thank you.
Frightening and unpleasent things like more apting to "pass on or pass away" in place of apting to "die", or "funeral directors" instead of "morticians" or "undertakers".

Sorry I am not sure if you mean that "pig and fuzz" is as a euphemism or as a deragetory for policeman?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Thank you.
Frightening and unpleasent things like more apting ??? to "pass on or pass away" in place of apting to "die", or "funeral directors" instead of "morticians" or "undertakers". Death is too serious to elicit derogatory terms. Funeral Director is synonymous for Mortician or Undertaker, and is commonly used in the UK, whereas Mortician is an American term.

Sorry I am not sure if you mean that "pig and fuzz" is as a euphemism or as a deragetory for policema Both words are euphemisms and derogatory

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Excuse me, how could it be possible for a word both Euphemism and derogatory at the same time? I think there is contradictory here. I am very confused.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Excuse me, how could it be possible for a word both Euphemism and derogatory at the same time? I think there is contradictory here. I am very confused.
I don't think 'pig' or 'fuzz' are euphemisms for police.
'Pig' is derogatory and a dysphemism (opposite of euphemism).
'Fuzz' - I'm not sure about the derivation. It might be neutral, like 'cop'.
A euphemism can still be derogatory. "Lady of the night" is a euphemism for a prostitute. It can still be derogatory calling someone this (unless they are a prostitute).

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I don't think 'pig' or 'fuzz' are euphemisms for police.
'Pig' is derogatory and a dysphemism (opposite of euphemism).
'Fuzz' - I'm not sure about the derivation. It might be neutral, like 'cop'.
A euphemism can still be derogatory. "Lady of the night" is a euphemism for a prostitute. It can still be derogatory calling someone this (unless they are a prostitute).
O' yes. I got it now. Thank you a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.