Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Schaeuble also lauded recent actions by US President Barack Obama to establish legal limits to the size and risk-taking of large banks.

So do well and thou shalt have laud of the same.

laud = praise, glorify, or honour
[FONT=&quot]Pledges for long-term Haiti aid [/FONT][FONT=&quot]put on hold[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Montreal meeting[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

put on hold = put off till later time

It might open and pave a prepared way to his own title.

The agreement paves the way to a lasting peace.

pave = to make smooth, easy, and safe; to prepare, as a path or way

The conference paved the way for a donors' meeting in March where monetary pledges are expected.

pave the way = make progress or development easier

With silver paved, and all divine with gold.

Old roads used to be paved with round stones.

pave = to lay or cover with stone, brick, or other material, so as to make a firm, level, or convenient surface for horses, carriages, or persons on foot, to travel on

Now that there are no more pictures to be had of children being pulled out of rubble alive, it is as if the world's media has decided to vilify Haiti and all concerned with trying to help there - because outrage sells.

vilify = spread negative information about; defame

outrage = a disgraceful event; the act of scandalizing

Well I'm outraged alright.

outrage = to produce anger or resentment in, as in: : “Incompetence outraged him”.; to cause to become very angry; as in, “the burning of the flag outraged the small conservative town.

When themselves they vilified to serve ungoverned appetite.

vilify = to make vile; to debase; to degrade; to disgrace

Many passions dispose us to depress and vilify the merit of one rising in the esteem of mankind.

vilify = to degrade or debase by report; to defame; to traduce; to calumniate

I do vilify your censure.

vilify = to treat as vile; to despise.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

rlfwood

Member Type
English Teacher
I would agree with your interpretations, except for this one:

Now that there are no more pictures to be had of children being pulled out of rubble alive, it is as if the world's media has decided to vilify Haiti and all concerned with trying to help there - because outrage sells.

outrage = a powerful feeling of resentment or anger aroused by something perceived as an injury, insult, or injustice.

Reactions: vil

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
Schaeuble also lauded recent actions by US President Barack Obama to establish legal limits to the size and risk-taking of large banks.

So do well and thou shalt have laud of the same.

laud = praise, glorify, or honour Ok
Pledges for long-term Haiti aid put on hold at Montreal meeting.

put on hold = put off till later time= to postpone temporarily

It might open and pave a prepared way to his own title.

The agreement paves the way to a lasting peace.

pave = to make smooth, easy, and safe; to prepare, as a path or wayOk

The conference paved the way for a donors' meeting in March where monetary pledges are expected.

pave the way = make progress or development easierOk

With silver paved, and all divine with gold.

Old roads used to be paved with round stones.

pave = to lay or cover with stone, brick, or other material, so as to make a firm, level, or convenient surface for horses, carriages, or persons on foot, to travel on Ok

vilify = spread negative information about; defame

outrage = a disgraceful event; the act of scandalizing= An act that offends a person's sense of pride or dignity

Well I'm certainlyoutraged (alright) by her indecent behavior.

outrage = to produce anger or resentment in, as in: : “Incompetence outraged him”.; to cause to become very angry; as in, “the burning of the flag outraged the small conservative town”.

When themselves they vilified to serve ungoverned appetite.

vilify = to make vile; to debase; to degrade; to disgrace

Many passions dispose us to depress and vilify the merit of one rising in the esteem of mankind.

vilify = to degrade or debase by report; to defame; to traduce; to calumniate= To malign or say defamatory things about someone or something

He has been vilified in the Electronic media without any basis
I do vilify your censure ofmaking false allegations.

vilify = to treat as vile; to despise.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Ok

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.