[Grammar] Ambiguous Sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighter86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Can anyone help me with these ambiguous sentences...I don't understand what's wrong with them or how words need to be added to make them clear.

1. Wollstonecraft blamed women's problems on the structure of society more than the men of her time.

2. Her ideas about women frightened other people less than her husband.

3. One of her daughters, May Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein, became as famous as Wollstonecraft herself.

4. The readers Mary Shelley attracted were different from those who enjoyed her mother's work.

5. Modern readers know Mary Shelley better than Mary Wollstonecraft.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can anyone help me with these ambiguous sentences...I don't understand what's wrong with them or how words need to be added to make them clear.

1. Wollstonecraft blamed women's problems on the structure of society more than the men of her time did.

2. Her ideas about women frightened other people less than they frightened her husband.

3. One of her daughters, Mary Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein, became as famous as Wollstonecraft herself.

4. The readers Mary Shelley attracted were different from those who enjoyed her mother's work.

5. Modern readers know Mary Shelley better than they know Mary Wollstonecraft.
I have cleared up the ambiguity in sentences one and two. The others are not ambiguous. (Number five is awkward without the changes.)

:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have questions. We have answers.

;-)

Idun

Member Type
Academic
I believe RonBee´s filling in gives the correct understanding of the sentences, but I would like to make clear how three of them could be (mis)understood if you don´t add words to make them clear:

1. Wollstonecraft blamed women's problems on the structure of society more than on the men of her time.

2. Her ideas about women frightened other people less than her husband did.

5. Modern readers know Mary Shelley better than Mary Wollstonecraft does.

Idun - the norse goddess of love and knowledge

Last edited:

firefighter86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re: Grammatical or Logical Completeness

I need to add any words to the following sentences, I don't quite understand it using the Writers Reference book....

1. Preferring examples from dressmaking to other occupations, she chose stories that illustrated her points and let the acecdotes speak for themselves.

2. She did not argue and never had by directly attacking those who disagreed with her.

3. Her technique was as convincing, or more convincing than, outright argument.

4. No doubt part of Mary Wollstonecraft's unusually effective writing came from the fact that she not only believed in but also lived by the ideas she wrote about.

What words do I add to the sentences to make them complete/grammatical and logical?

firefighter86

Member Type
Student or Learner
I understand the bottom sentences, but the first one still confuses me...you don't need to add a WORD?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks to Idun, I have changed my interpretation of the first sentence.

1. Wollstonecraft blamed women's problems on the structure of society more than on the men of her time.
There are two possible interpretations, depending on context. I now believe that one is most likely.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2. Her ideas about women frightened other people less than her husband did.

5. Modern readers know Mary Shelley better than Mary Wollstonecraft does.

I don't believe her husband frightened other people (although I could be wrong).

I believe Mary Wollstoncraft is deceased.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Grammatical or Logical Completeness

I need to add [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] words to the following sentences, I don't quite understand them using the Writers Reference book....

1. Preferring examples from dressmaking to examples from other occupations, she chose stories that illustrated her points and let the acecdotes speak for themselves.

2. She did not argue and never had argued by directly attacking those who disagreed with her.

3. Her technique was as convincing as, or more convincing than, outright argument.

4. No doubt part of Mary Wollstonecraft's unusually effective writing came from the fact that she not only believed in but also lived by the ideas she wrote about.
The last sentence needs no changes.

(If you have any more questions, please start another thread.)

firefighter86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for the help...how do you know which words to use? Is there a format to go by?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the help...how do you know which words to use? Is there a format to go by?
Interesting question. (Maybe somebody can tell me how I know which words to use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.