[General] Usage of "Ass" and "Arse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

There are two words "Ass" and "Arse", I heard that but I am not sure, "Ass" is only using in American English, not in British English. And "Arse" is only using in British English, not in American English, is that true? If someone is saying "Ass", "Asshole" or "Ass" related words, can I say that he/she is American? If sometimes is saying "Arse", "Arsehole" or "Ass" related words, can I say that he/she is English? Please advise.

WYH

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everybody,

There are two words "Ass" and "Arse", I heard that but I am not sure, "Ass" is only using in American English, not in British English. And "Arse" is only using in British English, not in American English, is that true? If someone is saying "Ass", "Asshole" or "Ass" related words, can I say that he/she is American? If sometimes is saying "Arse", "Arsehole" or "Ass" related words, can I say that he/she is English? Please advise.

WYH

I would say that generally, American speakers don't use 'arse'. However, 'ass' is common in Britain. 'Arse' might be more common, especially in words like 'arsehole' compared with 'asshole', but I hear 'ass' frequently enough. The same way I hear other American words like 'store', and 'cops' frequently.

Certainly, if you hear someone refer to that area of the human anatomy as 'fanny' then you know s/he is American.

Status
Not open for further replies.